How do you know what kind of chiles to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Many of the recipes I see for Mexican or Southwestern or South American styles of cooking just say use chiles or green chiles or red chiles. How do you decide which kind to use in which recipe?

Is it for fresh chilies or canned? I suppose I would just use what I could handle if its calling for fresh chillies, probably Jalapenos for green, whatever looks good for red at the store.

Fo da green chilies they be green...

Fo da red chilies they be red...

img_586625_0_907eeb1b3cefb351a243b070a1be817c.gif

sorry :blush:

For green chilies if they say canned that one's easy. Otherwise I would use jalapenos or poblanos.

For the red I would use those little red fresh or dried chilies. I don't know what they are called.

:smartass::smartass::smartass::smartass::devilish:

Fo da green chilies they be green...

Fo da red chilies they be red...

img_586628_0_907eeb1b3cefb351a243b070a1be817c.gif

sorry :blush:

For green chilies if they say canned that one's easy. Otherwise I would use jalapenos or poblanos.

For the red I would use those little red fresh or dried chilies. I don't know what they are called.

KE, such a kidder! ;)

Fresh chiles. I've used all kinds - jalapeno, serrano, cubanelle, poblano, Fresno - jalapeno and serrano turn red when ripe and are sometimes available in my store - and they'll be available in my garden by August or so ;) I haven't used the tiny Thai bird chiles - I don't see them much here.

I was just wondering what others do.

Back
Top Bottom