How long do you boil your sweet corn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boil, what's that?

j/k, with store bought corn, 5 - 10 minutes.

but i can't wait until this weekend. we're going here: Pick Your Own Apples at Weed Orchards, Marlboro, NY, Hudson Valley, NY to the sweet corn festival.

last year, my wife had never had freshly picked sweet corn, so when the owners brought back some of their first crop, to see if the public would be interested, i grabbed a load. dw made me put most of it back. :(

on the way home, i started eating an ear raw, and convinced her to try it. she was amazed at how good corn is in the first few hours after harvesting, even raw. it's like candy.
this was a special new type of extra sweet and long lasting corn (lol, it sounds like willy wonka invented it).

i can't wait. and i've never let her forget it.

pacanis said:
hmmm, must be a BTU thing. 35-45 minutes and the kernels are just starting to turn golden brown.....
Or, as IronChef said, it's a doneness preference thing. The corn in your pic looks way overdone for my taste. The browned kernels have lost a lot of their juice, which is where all the sweetness is. The kernels to the right in the lower ear of corn are just how I like my whole ear of corn to look - plump and juicy. I really just cook fresh corn long enough to heat it - it doesn't really need "cooking."

Also, I guess that's why I'm surprised to see so many people adding garlic and other strong seasonings to sweet corn; they would overpower the sweetness, which is what I want, so all I add is butter and salt :chef:

Last edited:
I`m with Jennyema on this one too, I get my largest pot out (My Cauldron) and then bring to the boil a roughly 3% salt soln, and then add the peeled corn.
I turn the heat off and leave them for ~5 mins.

it`s nice after if you brush them with melted slightly salted butter and BBQ them too, but you can skip that part.

GotGarlic said:
The browned kernels have lost a lot of their juice, which is where all the sweetness is.
You would actually be surprised. I was camping once and we threw a bunch on the coals. We had been drinking and forgot about the corn for a long time. When we finally remembered we figured the corn was good for trash and nothing else. Well we took them out of the fire anyway and took a bite. It was some of the sweetest tastiest corn I have ever had. Talk about happy accidents.

Camping? Drinking? I never knew those two went together :ROFLMAO:

I cooked two ears with dinner last night, too. (And BTW, I don't know if the corn I get is day old fresh all the time, as they pack what they don't sell in a cooler at night before they close the stand, but it's as fresh as you can get around here. Grown a mile down the road. Anyway, it isn't store bought.) I didn't cook it quite as long and it was still done, so yeah, it must be a preference thing on doneness. My lunchtime corn was sweet as was my suppertime corn.
And what some people call brown, others call carmelized :innocent:
Sometimes I do it it plain, but lately I've been seasoning just about everything I eat. I've really gotten on a garlic, butter and/or olive oil and Italian seasoning kick. Don't know what's gotten into me :pig:

buckytom said:
boil, what's that?

j/k, with store bought corn, 5 - 10 minutes.

but i can't wait until this weekend. we're going here: Pick Your Own Apples at Weed Orchards, Marlboro, NY, Hudson Valley, NY to the sweet corn festival.

last year, my wife had never had freshly picked sweet corn, so when the owners brought back some of their first crop, to see if the public would be interested, i grabbed a load. dw made me put most of it back. :(

on the way home, i started eating an ear raw, and convinced her to try it. she was amazed at how good corn is in the first few hours after harvesting, even raw. it's like candy.
this was a special new type of extra sweet and long lasting corn (lol, it sounds like willy wonka invented it).

i can't wait. and i've never let her forget it.

Ripe corn (tassles starting to brown) can be quite tasty eaten raw right in the cornfield. Store / farmstand purchased can usually be cooked by placing into a pot of boiling water, letting the water return to a boil, shutting off the heat, and then letting corn sit for 5 - 15 minutes before eating.

Back
Top Bottom