How to store fire roasted peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, I don't even do that with my hot peppers. I just rinse, dry, & freeze them whole.

For Bells I seed & either slice &/or chop, & then freeze.

For either - no oil, no nothing. I've had peppers come out of the freezer top quality after nearly a year of being in the freezer.

I guess I misunderstood this. I thought by "top quality" you meant top quality.

Um - I DID mean TOP QUALITY. For a frozen vegetable. What's your problem?

If you want crisp salad-quality vegetables, then don't freeze them. Salad-quality fresh vegetables wasn't the question originally asked here. Geez.

Breezy, apparently my problem was in questioning something you posted. I should have known better. Why are you always so antagonistic when someone asks you to clarify something you posted???
I will now go back to my original thinking that freezing raw vegetables produces thawed ones that are suitable for cooking, or cooking quality. Certainly not what I thought top quality meant. And as long as we're referring back to the OP, the OP was talking about keeping roasted peppers, you were the one who brought up freezing raw peppers. And that's all I have to say on that.

Thanks for the link Susan.

img_735444_0_13e9e22c4062381dee5e4f92cb23a34c.gif

I apologize Pacanis. I truly thought that you were the one being sarcastic re: my definition of "top quality", which I meant as "top quality for a frozen vegetable", as in no off-taste, freezer burn, or unpleasantly mushy texture.

.......anyway, back to the topic:

My jar of roasted peppers are stored in water, salt and citric acid. A few minutes of Googling and you should find a means to jar them like the commercial ones. Most likely you'll have to sterilize the container and/or follow canning and preserving instructions.

If you freeze them, layer wax or parchment paper between the panels so you save on those bags. Also, a large bowl sealed with plastic wrap works great as a vessel to steam off the skins....again, rather than going through all those plastic bags.

I apologize Pacanis. I truly thought that you were the one being sarcastic re: my definition of "top quality", which I meant as "top quality for a frozen vegetable", as in no off-taste, freezer burn, or unpleasantly mushy texture.

OK, It's cool. I honestly thought I had stumbled upon a way to keep fresh veggies for any and all uses. Top quality for a frozen veggie explains things nicely. I took the original term too literally cuz I just didn't know.

So anyway, back to our original programming :)

Also, a large bowl sealed with plastic wrap works great as a vessel to steam off the skins....again, rather than going through all those plastic bags.

Steaming off the skins would not impart the flavor of roasting them, and storing them in air-tight bags to continue the cooking process also allows the flavor to get into the flesh. They have a subtle smokey flavor that is not overwhelming, and are exactly what I expected from them.

I'm going to include one of the peppers in the potatoes that will go with my Panko crusted walleye dinner.

Steaming off the skins would not impart the flavor of roasting them, and storing them in air-tight bags to continue the cooking process also allows the flavor to get into the flesh. They have a subtle smokey flavor that is not overwhelming, and are exactly what I expected from them.

I'm going to include one of the peppers in the potatoes that will go with my Panko crusted walleye dinner.

We're saying the same thing. I'm only telling you that an alternative to using the bags is to use a large bowl covered with plastic wrap. Six to one, half a dozen the other. I roast my own bell and chili peppers all the time and use the bowl method to steam/rest the peppers.

Back
Top Bottom