"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-22-2007, 05:55 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
Thought I would submit my creamed spinach recipe because the ingredients are a bit different from the ones submitted so far, ie, no cream cheese..

one small onion
3 T. butter
3 T. flour

3/4 cup milk

1/2 cup grated swiss cheese OR
3 T. parmesan cheese

s&p
Nutmeg to taste

3 quarts chopped fresh spinach

Saute onion lightly in butter. Add flour and cook two minutes, stirring constantly. Add milk and cheeses, stir until combined.
A little at a time, stir in the chopped spinach. I use a 4 to 5 quart saucepan for this amount. Keep adding and stirring in the spinach, it will wilt down quickly. Cook until the last spinach that was added has wilted. Season with s&p and nutmeg. Serve over toast or biscuits. Makes about 2 1/2 cups sauce. This is really really good stuff, I've had teenagers wolf it down.
I just made this for dinner tonight, bethzaring. It's pretty cool how it can be made in one pot and turn out great! I didn't bother to chop the spinach and it was fine! Mine was hardly a "sauce" though - it was spinach that was lightly coated in cream sauce.

I will have to experiment with "creamed spinach" recipes. Next time, I might add a little bacon grease to the roux, then mix in crumbled bacon at the end. I saw a chef do that on Martha Stewart today. He steamed the spinach first, then added it to the sauce. Looks easier than this was, but I wanted to try the one-pot method.

Thanks!

Lee

Tags
None