ISO Eggplant Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uncle Bob said:
Slice, peel, sweat. Wash off, cut into "french fries" bread in cornmeal. Fry until golden brown. You will be glad you did! ;)

Bob, when you say "sweat", do you mean salt and draw the juices out?

What's really amusing is that I was just getting ready to post the same question. My cleaning woman brought me two buckets full of produce from her garden today, and there's a good amount of eggplant...both the egg-shaped type, and the long ones.

Kim turns his nose up at the mention of eggplant, but he's never really eaten it. I'm sure he'd like it fixed Bob's way.

I wonder if anyone here has fixed eggplant parmesan or ratatoulle?

BT: No fennel, no star annis, no tarragon, no annisette, no ouzo, no sambucca! Plecch!

Oddly, I don't mind an occasional (maybe, once every 5 or 10 years) small piece of black licorice, but nothing that TASTES like licorice.

But now, thanks to you, I'm going to be singing "Faniculi, Fanicula" all night. Eh, that's okay. I like that song. Even though those are the only two words I know.

Lee

Constance - I can only assume that you are truly joking/kidding about the eggplant parmesan/ratatouille remark/request.

Please do a search here & I'm sure you will be inundated with more recipes than you can shake a stick it.

caroleaine, another easy tasty ep dish - eggplant patties/croquettes. You can nuke the eggplant and mash, or remove the skin (or not), dice and fry in oil, then drain. Add the cooked ep to italian flavored bread crumbs, beaten egg, chopped onion, shredded cheese of choice (parmesan, mozzarella, cheddar), and fry in a little oil. Or, bake them at about 350 till they're brown on both sides/cooked through.) Serve the patties as a side to pasta and tomato sauce or on a bun with lettuce and tomatoes.

BreezyCooking said:
Constance - I can only assume that you are truly joking/kidding about the eggplant parmesan/ratatouille remark/request.

Please do a search here & I'm sure you will be inundated with more recipes than you can shake a stick it.

I will do that right now. Duhhh...:wacko:

I just did a search here too, & "Ratatouille" came up with several threads with recipes, & "Eggplant Parmegian" came up with pages of stuff, but I didn't go thru each one.

However, when I make Eggplant Parmegian, I don't bread &/or fry the eggplant. Gave that up long ago for a healthier & just as tasty version.

I slice the unpeeled eggplant(s) about 3/4" thick & put them in a single layer on a baking sheet. I then brush each slice with some extra-virgin olive oil & sprinkle with granulated garlic, dried oregano, & crushed red pepper flakes, & bake in a 450-degree oven until just starting to soften &/or brown. I then flip the slices over, rebrush, reseason, & bake until tender.

The slices are then layered in a casserole dish with homemade or favorite jarred brand of pasta sauce & grated mozzarella cheese, finishing up the layers with sauce, mozzarella, & some freshly grated parmesan & baked in a 350-degree oven until hot & bubbly.

This method can also be used to make great Eggplant Parmegian Sub sandwiches as well.

Thanks, Breezy. I don't know what my problem is with the search engine here. I did discover that I was not spelling ratatouille correctly.

Your recipe looks good, and a lot easier than the ones I found online. How is the taste, compared to the the fried eggplant version?

To be honest, I like my unfried version better than the fried ones I used to make & the fried ones I've gotten in restaurants. I just don't miss the breading & all that extra oil. Plus, it probably doesn't hurt that I have a pretty heavy hand with the seasoning on my baked slices - lol!!! Let's face it - eggplant is a fairly bland-tasting vegetable.

Back
Top Bottom