ISO Vegetarian Holiday main dish recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a couple of Vegetarians on my Christmas guest list and besides a Vegetarian Lasagna I'm coming up with a blank of what to serve them for a festive main dish.
I'll have vegetable sides with our standing rib roast but I'd like to make a festive main dish for those who don't eat meat. This really has me stumped. Any ideas?

I'm a big fan of eggplant parm and eggplant rollatini, served over spaghetti with lemon garlic bread. Since it's a casserole dish, you won't spend extra time in the kitchen.

Can they eat seafood? A simple dish is linguine & clams or shrimp fra diavolo.

Spaghetti carbonara w/ a side salad.

For something a little spectacular, lovely stir fry, with a sauce made from Hoison Sauce, Soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic would be well received. Veggies might include bias-sliced carrot and celery, bok choy, cauliflower and broccoli flowerettes, cashews (if allergies aren't a problem), water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, sliced onion, garlic, different colored bell peppers, and plenty of bean sprouts. The protein can be TVP, or tofu, or scrambled eggs. A touch of 5-spice powder goes well as a seasoning with stir fries. you can add hot peppers, or Sriracha Sauce as an option, or leave a bottle of your favorite hot sauce on the table for anyone who wants to add it.

Get a pan of oil hot, and open up a package of cellophane noodles (bean thread noodles). Drop them into the hot oil and watch them expand dramatically. Remove from the oil when lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Serve the stir-fry on a nest of noodles. Or, just make up some brown rice to serve with the stir-fry.

Just another idea.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When I was a vegetarian, I never bought the fake meat. :yuk:

I often cooked beans and then ground them in the meat grinder. That worked pretty well as a ground beef substitute. But, as larry_stewart wrote, it won't hang together for a meatballs. I often used that in a pasta sauce and a lot of people didn't believe me that there was no meat in the sauce. I guess their bodies got the protein and interpreted it as meat.

Back
Top Bottom