Mashed Cauliflower - Have you ever done this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use one package of frozen cauliflower. steam and smash it with 2 wedges of laughing cow (about 35 cals. each)....

That's a great idea! I love the French onion Laughing Cow, and it's so rich and creamy that it's hard to believe it's only 35 calories.

i just steam it, then process it with a spoonful of fat free sour cream and a splash of skim milk (depending on what consistency you want)....salt and pepper to task...compeltely fat free, and tasty

if you want to add a tiny bit of richness, with not too much fat, try adding a little bit of yogurt butter (the brand me we like is Brumel & Brown, spelled something like that)

maybe throw in a couple roasted cloves of garlic, or onion, or whatever else

we also tried this with broccoli...came out pretty good, and the bright green color made it pretty intresting to look at

dont over steam either, because it will waterlog it

Definitely do NOT think of them as potatoes when eating them. A family member surprised us all this year at thanksgiving (I was in charge of desert) with them...no one expected until they took a bite exactly how different they were!!! but since I don't like mashed potatoes (yes, I know weird) I was alright with 'em :)

I must admit that I have made mashed cauliflower when I was trying to get my step-daughter to eat a more varied diet. I made rustic mashed potatoes (lumpy) and mixed in a little lumpy mashed cauliflower - and increased the amount over time. I snuck in turnips on her the same way.

I prefer my cauliflower steamed with butter and texture - baked with some breadcrumbs, cheese, onions, and butter is good (lol - even better with some bacon).

But, I still like my mashed turnips with S&P and butter.

I make a variation of mashed cauliflower that works well with broccoli or brussle sprouts, too. The idea is simple:

1) In a food processor make a mince of one head of cauliflower.
2) Make a simple white sauce.
3) Combine the two and bake in an oven for about 45 minutes.

Of course you can enrich the white sauce with lots of butter or add cheese; topping the whole thing with bread crumbs really suites the dish, too. You can bake it in a pastry or by itself or even spray the bottom with PAM and press the breadcrumbs in to form a simple crust; the above is what I like to think of as the reduced calorie version. (smile)

I enjoy my vegetables steamed and generally butterless.... Unfortunately others do not share this strange purist vegetable passion, so I tend to cater to the whims of others :)

Back
Top Bottom