"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-20-2005, 08:44 PM   #11
Hospitality Queen

Grapeseed oil has an extremely high smoke point (485 degrees F) So, it's great for frying and sauteing. It also has a very light flavor, so it's really good in sauces.
It has no sodium (huge plus for me) and also has no cholesterol. This oil helps to lower the blood level of LDL (the bad cholesterol) while it raises the level of HDL (the good cholesterol). Plus, it's an excellent source of Vitamin E and other antioxidants.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:18 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks very much for the info on the oil, I wil have to try it out for sure. I normally have my olive and don't experiment really but I should and will. :)

Old 05-21-2005, 05:19 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I didnt know margarine has trans fats in it, I thought margarine was better to use than butter in terms of fat and cholestoral, so thanks for the tip Jennyma. And thanks Jkath for the tip on grape seed oil. Is that an expensive oil? You said it does not contain salt. I didnt know oils contain salt. Does canolla and olive oil have salt cause those are the only oils I use.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:01 AM   #14
Hospitality Queen

I'm not sure of the content of sodium in the other oils, it's just that I know about grapeseed, as it's my favorite. (My mouth is very sensitive to any salts at all, so I have to really watch it with my food or I'm in pain for a couple of days afterward.)
Also, it is a tiny bit pricier than others, but well worth it. I use it almost exclusively, except when I want the flavor of the olive oil in a recipe.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:14 PM   #15
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Oil is necessary in your diet. If you didn't consume some fat, your skin would dry up and your hair would fall out. It becomes a problem when you consume too much - just like carbs.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I'm not sure of the content of sodium in the other oils, it's just that I know about grapeseed, as it's my favorite. (My mouth is very sensitive to any salts at all, so I have to really watch it with my food or I'm in pain for a couple of days afterward.)
The only oils I use are peanut, olive, and sesame. No sodium in any of those.

Which oils contain sodium?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:44 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

I just did a check of the USDA food nutrient data base and found all oils have a zero level of sodium.

I would expect margerine to have salt (sodium) added as a flavoring agent, not as part of the oil used to make the margerine.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:46 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Grapeseed oil is great for high temp unlike olive oil that breaks down to trans fatty acids at temps above 360 degrees F. Not that one can afford it but walnut oil is good at high temps as well, although ordinary peanut oil is a frying favorite for good cause; inexpensive, hold up to very high temps, and tastes good.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:08 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Hi,
As GB has stated french fries need to be fried twice. Here's what we do in our restaurants. First cut fresh potatoes we leave the skins on and soak them in water with a little salt added for a while to remove the serface starch, then drain well and fry or actually blanch the potatoes in the deep frier at 300 degrees for about 2 minutes. Then we hold them in a conainer with a lid under refrigeration. To finish before serving refry at 350 to 375 degrees for 3 minutes. outside will be crisp and inside soft and fluffy.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:27 AM   #20
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Margarine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I just did a check of the USDA food nutrient data base and found all oils have a zero level of sodium.

I would expect margerine to have salt (sodium) added as a flavoring agent, not as part of the oil used to make the margerine.
I recently got a funny e-mail about margarine implying that it's completely man-made. The e-mail said to leave a stick of margarine in your garage. After even five days, there would not be a hint of a smell and insects wouldn't go near it. It's kind of like petroleum, only less healthy.

Tags
None