Scalloped Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Scalloped Potatoes

Yield: 8 servings
2 lb (about 6 medium) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tbsp butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1 cup water
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Procedures
1 PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
2 PLACE potatoes in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes; drain. Set aside.
3 HEAT butter in same saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and water. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Arrange potatoes in prepared baking dish; pour milk mixture over potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese.
4 BAKE for 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cheese is light golden brown.
5 NOTE: For a twist on the traditional, spice up your Scalloped Potatoes with these tips. Add a combination of chopped ham, red bell pepper and/or ORTEGA Diced Green Chiles to the potatoes prior to baking. Or, add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese to the milk mixture after it is removed from the heat and top the dish with additional shredded cheddar cheese in place of Parmesan cheese

I love scalloped potatoes, Rainee, and that looks like a good recipe. They're a great way to use up the last of a ham, too. Just layer chunks or slices in with the potatoes.
And leftover scalloped potatoes make a very tasty potato soup...just add milk or broth, cheese, and whatever extra seasonings you wish.

Sometimes I will microwave whole potatoes until halfway cooked, let cool and then slice. Meanwhile I am making the white sauce in pretty much the same way as Rainee's recipe. You can cook the scalloped potatoes in the microwave on high for 15-20 minutes and it comes out almost exactly the same way as in a regular oven.

I try to leave out any cheese (for the sake of my son who doesn't care for it), but I do like to top it with bread crumbs for a nice toasty top.

Back
Top Bottom