Spaghetti Squash Pancakes - Need Your Input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
I love veggie pancakes - i.e. zuchinni, potato, carrot, etc., and would like to give this one a try. I'm not sure about topping them with brown sugar, and adding the heavy cream. Any ideas for a spaghetti squash pancake makeover? TIA.

Spaghetti Squash Pancakes

9 oz. spaghetti squash
About 1-2/3 c. flour
3 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. heavy cream
A pinch of salt
Brown sugar
Butter

Cook the spaghetti squash in boiling water for about 20 minutes; let cool. Cut in half lengthwise. Using a fork, scrape out the "spaghetti."

Combine cooked squash in a bowl with the flour, milk, cream, beaten eggs and salt. For each pancake, pour a small ladleful of the batter into a preheated buttered skillet; brown on one side, then turn and brown the other side.

Keep the cooked pancakes warm as you cook the rest of the batter. Sprinkle with brown sugar and serve hot.

Changes I might make: Omit the brown sugar and sprinkle some nutmeg into the mix and serve as a side dish with some roasted red peppers or a main dish with a big salad.

Hi mish nice to see ya.

Can you believe I've never cooked with spaghetti squash...? I'm not sure why.
I love squash.

Have a great day!

pdswife said:
Hi mish nice to see ya.

Can you believe I've never cooked with spaghetti squash...? I'm not sure why.
I love squash.

Have a great day!

Thank you, pds. You too.:)

If you like squash/veggies, you must give it a try. Cook the squash and slice in half lengthwise (to get long strands), then run a fork thru to make spaghetti-like strands. Very nice taste and a healthy alternative to pasta.

I imagine you could just substitute regular/low fat milk for the heavy cream...and you could completely omit the brown sugar topping.

What about making these pancakes savory instead by adding in some chopped chive and roasted garlic to the "batter" and then serving with some warmed creme fresche or chevre...? That would be yummy, I think. :)

What about thinning out the recipe and making crepes? Make a creamy, filling that is has nutmeg and cinnamon instead of using the spices in the batter.

Perhaps use all milk instead of the cream.

Even better, use whip the cream with nutmeg, cinnamon and a touch of sugar and use that as the topping.

Brown sugar goes amazingly well with any squash.

Personally, I make cream soups out of butternut or acorn. Ladled over a slice of freshly baked french bread. Delish!

Chris

Thank you Alix, grumblebee, IC, and Big Del for all these new ideas. I don't see many recipes using spaghetti squash. Copied and saved.

IC, that pancake looks really cool! I was leaning more toward a veggie-like pancake dish. I must give it a try. Would also like to find a restaurant here where I can make them at the table. Sounds like fun. Now, I know what to look for on the menu. As always, appreciate all the great input from the folks here. :)

Back
Top Bottom