Vegetable sides for Thanksgiving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kyles - I love brussel sprouts!!! and have recipes for probably 40 ways to cook them! I spent several years in NSW when I was young; my Dad was a civil engineer on The Snowy Mountains HydroElectric project there.
I loved it! Still watch movies like Sun Downers and The Dish just to hear the good Aussie accents and be reminded of the wonderful people we knew there!

here's a recipe for you, even my Grandkids (who also hate Brussel Sprouts) happily eat!

Braised Brussels Sprouts

4 pints brussels sprouts
2 TBLS unsalted butter
Coarse kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 450º.
In large pot, cover brussels sprouts with water to cover.
Bring to boil over medium heat and cook for 10 minutes.
Drain well, cool and cut in halves.
Toss in large roasting pan with butter, salt and pepper.
Cover with foil or parchment paper and roast for 45 mins.
or until tender. Serve hot.

Yield: 10 servings.

good on ya!

What an amazing experience.......I haven't been to the Snowy Mountain Ranges. I think i feel a Dish moment coming on this afternoon!!! Australians make some great movies.

I have tried brussel sprouts a variety of ways, and I have gone from wild loathing to quiet toleration. The best way is cooked with chestnuts, the sweet nuttiness of chestnuts seems to get rid of some of the bitterness.

My mum would never serve us anything she wouldn't eat herself, when we had brussel sprouts at home I couldn't understand why she could swallow hers whole, until I caught her in the kitchen peeling back the leaves so hers was no bigger than a marble!

Sounds like a very wise Mum to me!!!

Wishing you good brussel sprouts and a Happy Christmas!

I love Brussels Sprouts too...
here's how my mom always cooked them (and now me, too)

(Small Bag) Frozen, boiled in just enough water to cover till they're just soft.
Drain, then add about 1 Tbsp butter & a dash of vinegar. It really tastes good, really!

Speaking of brussels sprouts I saw this recipe this morning on The Barefoot Contessa.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Copyright, 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All rights reserved

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts and
pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl
with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Transfer them to
a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until
crisp outside and tender inside. Shake the pan from
time to time to brown the Brussels sprouts evenly.
Sprinkle with more kosher salt (I like these salty like
French fries) and serve hot.

Episode#: IG1A11
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

I've never considered baking them, we always boil them, I'm sure there are people who put them on for Christmas about now!!!! They are often overcooked and disgusting.

I quite like them as left overs made into bubble and squeak.

I posted this last night don't know what happened to it. This is one of our favorites.

Corn Pie

Make this with fresh, frozen or canned corn.
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1 T all-purpose flour
2 cups corn
4 T (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 cup milk
dash of pepper
dash of nutmeg
1/2 t salt
Beat eggs & sugar together. Add flour, corn, butter, milk and seasonings. Pour into casserole dish and cover. Bake 45 minutes in preheated 400-degree oven.

Posted it in another thread. This another favorite.

Butternut Cream Pie

1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
1/4 cup hot water
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
2 T carmel ice cream topping
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground cloves
1 pkg (5.1 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
3/4 cup plus 2 T milk
1 pie shell (9 inch) baked
Whipped cream and toasted flaked coconut

Cut squash in half, discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in microwave-safe dish, add hot water. Cover and microwave for 13-15 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp and mash. Set aside 1 -1 1/2 cups squash (save remaining squah for another use)

In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Stir in squash until blended. Add the sugar, carmel topping, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and cloves; beat until blended. Add pudding mix and milk; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Spoon into pie shell. Refigerate for at least 3 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut.
6-8 servings

Baked Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups

5 thin-skinned oranges, halved hemispherically
3 lbs sweet potatoes, pared & cut into large chunks
1 cup white granulated sugar
5 ounces uns. butter (plus another ounce for topping)
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 ounces peeled fresh gingerroot, grated

Using grapefruit knife, remove flesh from oranges over a sieve place above a bowl; reserve the juice. Squeeze remaining juice from fruit into the bowl. Measure out ½ cup orange juice; reserve remaining juice for another use.

Cook sweet potatoes in large, covered saucepan of boiling water for 20-30 minutes, or until they’re tender when pierced w/ point of knife. Drain. Return sweet pots to saucepan. Heat over med. heat & shake pan about 1 min. Mash the potatoes. Add orange juice, sugar, 5 oz. butter, and seasonings; beat until combined.

Mound sweet potatoe mixture into orange shells; sprinkle the tops evenly w. grated ginger; dot w/ remaining ounce of butter. (The filled orange cups can be made ahead, covered & refrigerated for up to 6 hours.)

Bake the cups at 350° until heated through, about 25 min. At your turkey dinner, serve these orange cups as an accompaniment along w/ cranberry relish, parsnips, Brussel sprouts, & candied chestnuts.

Konditor -
Your Baked Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups sound perfect! I cannot wait to make them! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe! :D

Really have to say thanks everyone! Between the Cranberry Orange Relish, Pineapple Casserole, Creamy Dilled Carrots, Butternut Cream Pie and the Baked Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups (which not only sounds delicious, but will make a spectacular presentation!), I will be able to really give my family new wonderul things to try!!! Thank you so much for all your input!!!

happy_thanksgiving.gif

I, too, have suffered from holiday meal traditions. Now, don't get me wrong, at Thanksgiving I do all the traditional stuff. But my family insisted on exactly the same meal at Christmas. EXACTLY. AND I might add, the meal contained "traditions" that I, as the eldest child, had never been in on. The green bean casserole and the marshmallow sweet potatoes were not on the agenda when I was a kid, but my family insisted they HAD to be on the menu. The cucumber/shrimp/mushroom salad we never did without when I was young, no one wanted. Oh, dear. Just because you're siblings doesn't mean you were raised in the same family!!!!

Here's another way to do the sweet potatoes

Orange-Pecan Sweet Potatoes

2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 t cinnamon
4 cups cooked, sliced sweet potatoes
1/3 cup orange juice
3 T brandy
pinch of salt (optional)
1/2 t ginger
1/4 t allspice

Combine 1/3 cup of brown sugar, pecans, 1/4 cup melted butter and cinnamon. Mix and set aside for final layer.

Combine remaining ingedients and layer potatoes in shallow, buttered casserole dish. Top with set-aside mixture.

Bake covered at 350 for 30 minutes. If you prefer a crunchy topping, remove cover for the last few minutes of baking time.

Haitian Sweet Potato Pudding:

6 cups grated sweet potatoes
3 sliced ripe bananas
1 cup coconut milk
4 cups half and half
9 eggs lightly beaten
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup raisins
1 tsp group cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tbs vanilla

Oven 350
Mix all and pour into a 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake for 30 min till potatoes are cooked through. 10 to 12 servings.

I like brussels sprouts, and a good hint is just to boil 'til they're as firm or mushy as you like, then at a good spoon full of orange juice concentrate to the butter, and maybe a grind of nutmeg. The OJ plays well with the slight bitter tang of the sprouts.

Most of my life I've been far away from family on Thanksgiving, so had my own traditions. Then I lived near my family for a few years and learned how hide-bound people can be when it comes to holiday dinners. One year I was determined to have a goose rather than turkey for Christmas, and you'd swear I'd started a revolution. Christmas was always an exact duplicate of Thanksgiving. Easter and New Years day were pretty much the same (ham), and when I tried to introduced my husband's family Easter tradition (lamb), once again it just didn't wash (and they all like lamb, I might add). I now no longer live near my family, and at holidays I simply say, "this (XXXXX) is what I am making, and feel free to bring whatever is YOUR family tradition." If we wind up with one bowl of my sage stuffing, one of cornbread dressing, one of sausage dressing, and no squash or sweet potatoes, so be it. Everyone has their favorite!

Clair, you're such a storyteller! And I just love it when people put their foot down! (I've enjoyed doing it myself a few times@ :twisted: ) Shaking folks up a bit is also entertaining!

LOL at this one!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom