Vidalia Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A little adaptation to Katie E's recipe.
No water, done on the grill over indirect as you see it. I sprinkled the onion with powdered beef bouillon & seasoning (Herb Ox), probably close to a Tbsp, and close to 2 Tbsp of butter :ohmy:
Man O Man...... tasty!

Geez, my network connection is NOT cooperating this morning.....

So here's the pic. About 3/4 done :)

Attachments

• onion.jpg
    onion.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 226
A little adaptation to Katie E's recipe.
No water, done on the grill over indirect as you see it. I sprinkled the onion with powdered beef bouillon & seasoning (Herb Ox), probably close to a Tbsp, and close to 2 Tbsp of butter :ohmy:
Man O Man...... tasty!

Told you they were good. Buck and I enjoyed ours yesterday, too. Just like candy.:)

Like your twist. Worth a try next time we fire up our grill.

I'd figure out how to make one of those Bloomin' Onions like at Outback.
Yum.

We bought a 10 lb. bag, and it's almost gone. Part went for onion soup, some we cooked with peppers, and the others have gotten used up in various ways. We never have gotten around to grilling any of them yet.

I just noticed where the store I shop started offering them in bags. They are labeled "organic", appear smaller and more teardrop shaped than the bulk vidalias.

vidalia onions

when we still lived in the states the boy scouts in our area would sell bags of vidalias right around mothers day. My wifes favorite gift would be a 10lb bag of vidalia onions and it became a tradition (along with a bit of a joke.) I miss those days. I don't believe any other onion is as sweet. sorry to all you walla-walla fans and I think I've had a Texas sweet onion but still prefer the Vidalias.

I think they are sweeter, too, wilson.
I'm not a big raw onion eater, except when it comes to something labeled Vidalia. Not the Mayans or the 1018's (whatever) are as sweet.... close, but no cigar.

It's usually along about this time of year that my DW tells me I smell like an onion..Not my breath....Me!!...I eat cold slices of vidalia like there is no tomorrow!

Vidalias are great cooked in their skins either in the oven or on the grill. They take longer to cook then most meats, so start them early. They are done when they yeild to finger pressure. When cooking on the grill, I generally soak them for a while so they don't burn as much. Also like them in a foil packet with summer squash, potatos, and butter or bacon.

I tried to leave the skin on, but it was a lost cause after cutting the root off to scoop a little out. Vidalias have such thin skin.

Oh my mouth is watering and I CAN"T HAVE ANY. We do not have Vidalias, Walla-Wallas or any other "sweet" onion here. Just white onions and red onions. Oh, and green onions. The white ones are pretty mild, but not sweet like Vidalias. Sigh.

Oh my mouth is watering and I CAN"T HAVE ANY. We do not have Vidalias, Walla-Wallas or any other "sweet" onion here. Just white onions and red onions. Oh, and green onions. The white ones are pretty mild, but not sweet like Vidalias. Sigh.

If you truly want Vidalia onions, you can have them delivered to you by ordering them online. Google "Vidalia Onions" for tons of sites that sell them.

If you truly want Vidalia onions, you can have them delivered to you by ordering them online. Google "Vidalia Onions" for tons of sites that sell them.

How does that work, importing produce into another country?
Are there any restrictions on that?

How does that work, importing produce into another country?
Are there any restrictions on that?

Oops, sorry. I guess I just didn't look at the country the poster was coming from. No, they won't export produce to Mexico. (sorry about the black font, I lost my color key.)

I like the black font. It's easier on my eyes :)

I wasn't sure if some veggies and fruits were OK and others not..... Seems weird since a lot of the produce up here this time of year comes from Mexico anyway :huh:

I like the black font. It's easier on my eyes :)

I wasn't sure if some veggies and fruits were OK and others not..... Seems weird since a lot of the produce up here this time of year comes from Mexico anyway :huh:

Looks like we may be stuck with the black font, the color button won't drop the pallette down. Black is so...boring.

You're right about produce coming here from Mexico, I was thinking the same thing as I was answering the post. :rolleyes: BUT, they can't grow Vidalias so that's one for our side.:LOL:

We bake them. Here's how.

Peel onions and leave whole. Using a spoon or a melonballer, scoop out a "well" in the root end. Using one onion per person, place the onions into a shallow baking dish, "well" side up. Pour in enough water to 1/4 inch deep in dish. Put one beef bouillon cube in each "well," along with a small slice of butter. Cover with foil and bake in preheated 350F oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

These are sooooo good and literally disappear before your eyes. We're addicted to them. They're great with roast beef, pork or chicken.

Last night I sorta made these - I sliced two small vidalia onions in half, laid side by side in foil, sprinkled - chicken bouillon (out of beef-:ohmy:) on top with a pat of butter. Seal up the foil and put on grill, (indirect) about 30 - 40 mins. (looks like a ear of corn) They were so good !! Thanks Katie for the tip !!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom