"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 11-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Spice blends for flavouring noodles

hi all. I'm on a low calorie diet at the moment, and one of my favourite diet foods are shirataki noodles. they're a flavourless, calorieless noodle which just taste like whatever flavourings you add to them

I have a really big spice cupboard, and access to most things, but i'm not really sure what manners to put them together.

So far, i have a few main flavour profiles:

Mexican: Cumin, coriander, and chilli
Sweet garlic: Garlic, sweetener, and chilli

and aside from that, chicken/beef stock cubes work fairly well too.

I'm quite fond of those, but i'd love other ideas that might fit. I'm generally interested in avoiding ingredients that are too calorie-heavy (milk, cream, oils, etc). These noodles are just a fun extra snack ontop of a balanced diet of other things i eat. and i'd like them to stay as close to nothing as possible, but i want different flavours to experiment with.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC! Grated ginger, low sodium soy sauce and/or fish sauce, a bit of grated garlic, and maybe a small amount of peanut butter, top with sliced scallions. You could add some Srirachi sauce or red pepper flakes for a bit of heat.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Welcome to DC! Grated ginger, low sodium soy sauce and/or fish sauce, a bit of grated garlic, and maybe a small amount of peanut butter, top with sliced scallions. You could add some Srirachi sauce or red pepper flakes for a bit of heat.
is that a list of recommendations, or are you saying i should toss that all into one? :O
i've never even tried sriracha sauce, i always add my spice with chilli flakes or powder, generally
Old 11-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Toss all together.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Master Chef

Welcome!

Sounds like you need this recipe.....it's become famous here at Discuss Cooking.

Dragon Lady Kitchen blog: SESAME NOODLES

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
Master Chef

+1 on the Dragon Lady Noodles, and welcome!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:33 AM   #7
Wine Guy

The Dragon Lady recipe is very good, but with the half cup of oil that is called for, it isn't exactly low cal. I think you could cut back the amount of sesame oil to a couple of tablespoons and it would would be just as good.

One of my favorite simple side dishes is soba (buckwheat) noodles tossed with tamari and thinly sliced green onions.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Master Chef

For an Asian flavor, I generally go with garlic, onion, soy sauce, 5-spice powder, and ginger.

Another winning combination is lemon juice, lightly sweetened, with ginger.

For Medeteranian, you could add a little tomato, garlic, oragano, basil, Rosemary, and thyme. If you're adventurous, add a little fennel seed to that mixture.

For southwestern, add to your already good mixture a touch of brown sugar, and black pepper.

Chicken soup base with a little ginger is very good with noodles.

Chicken stock to cook the noodles in, with ginger, garlic, onion, garlic, hot peppers of choice, and a little rice vinegar makes hot & sour soup.Chinese 5-spice, and a little hoison sauce. Add cashews.

Use pork broth, velvetized pork strips,

My final offer - pan fry good beef steak, then set aside. I prefer to cook the steak rare, or medium rare for this kind of dish. Saute mushrooms after cooking the steak. Add noodles and beef broth to the pan, with a little A1 or Lee & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce. Cook until the noodles are done. Cube the cooked steak and place on top of the noodles. Serve immediately.

That's a few ideas anyways. Good luck finding your favorite flavors.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

wow i thought this thread had died without anymore responses, silly gmail filtering my notifications ;3

some nice ideas here, ill peek at that sesame one.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
Master Chef

Nanako, Steve had a point about the amount of oil in the Sesame Noodles. I've made it so many times, and have found that a couple of tablepoons of sesame oil works out just fine.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noodles, spices all kinds