"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 12-29-2004, 01:02 PM   #11
Head Chef

Can you just chop up the garlic and store as is? Wouldn't botulism not be an issue then? Just curious. I see lots of people do this with their garlic. I think you loose some of the flavor, but it sure seems convienent.

Old 12-29-2004, 01:19 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
Can you just chop up the garlic and store as is? Wouldn't botulism not be an issue then? Just curious. I see lots of people do this with their garlic. I think you loose some of the flavor, but it sure seems convienent.
Yes. The oil is the culprit. It creates an anaerobic (airless) environment that is perfect for botulism.

If you chop and store in fridge, it'll dry out. If you freeze it it'll last a bit longer

Old 12-29-2004, 01:23 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I store my sliced, peeled ginger in dry sherry - will keep for months and months unrefrigerated.

Chopped garlic should just be used as needed.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 02:26 PM   #14
Head Chef

jennyema, then why is it ok to eat sun dried tomato packed in oil? Wouldn't the same thing happen? Or is it just the interaction with garlic?
Old 12-29-2004, 04:16 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
it's the interaction with the garlic - There's lots of info out there - go to google and type in

garlic, botulism

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 01:19 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

even with all of the warnings and info, i know several people that store chopped garlic in oil in the fridge (without preservatives) for a few weeks at a time, and suffered no ill effects.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 06:03 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Bucky, you're right - but it is a 'roll of the dice', just as only 1 in - I think - 30,000 eggs has salmonella bacteria; but I sure don't want to be that one!
Old 12-30-2004, 03:14 PM   #18
Master Chef

Any commercially prepared fresh product in oil will probably* have been acidified or prepared by boiling or pressure to eliminate the risk of botulism.

The higher the acid content in a fresh product stored in oil, the lower the risk of botulism. Tomatoes are naturally acidic, whereas garlic and peppers and basil, for example, are not. That's why you see most of the attention drawn to garlic. Also, botulism spores come from soil, so things grown in the ground (eg, garlic) are more likely sources.

Bucky -- there are lots of people who do this, sure. But they are taking a big chance. The fact is that they are risking botulism poisoning by doing it. Like M has said, it's a roll of the dice and chances are they won't get sick, but since Botulism is so incredibly hideous and so super easy to avoid ... IMO: why take the chance?

* There have been cases of botulism with improperly prepared commercial products -- Vichyssoise comes to mind -- but they are very rare. Almost all incidents of botulism poisoning come from home prep or restaurants.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:02 PM   #19

This thread is cause for some very serious thought...and I'd like to thank Jennyma for bringing this up for our information and edification...the things you don't know, that can kill ya, too!

Would love to see more of this!

Lifter
Old 12-30-2004, 11:16 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

yes, thanks jennyema, and everyone for their contributions. i never pre-chop and store garlic anyway. i mean, it's not very hard to pluck a coupla cloves, smash, skin and chop them. probably would take me the same or less time than trying to find a jar in the fridge.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None