"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 02-23-2005, 01:53 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

i agree about not using evoo in everything. like elfie said, i don't always want the olive oil taste in the dish. i use bertolli extra light olive oil for frying/sauteeing because of it's higher smoking point. you could put butter into evoo to raise the smoking point too, but that also adds fat and cholesterol, a no-no in my house these days...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:35 PM   #22
Certified Executive Chef

I buy Trader Joe's label EVOO and use it routinely, adding butter usually. I also do not use EVOO in everything, especially sweets, but always savory foods. I have vegetable oil on hand but do not often use it. I never use canola as it has been tied to macular degeneration and I do not need to worry about that.

Old 02-23-2005, 04:39 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
I never use canola as it has been tied to macular degeneration and I do not need to worry about that.
Wow! I've never heard that before and it's good to know as macular degeneration runs in my family.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:20 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i agree about not using evoo in everything. like elfie said, i don't always want the olive oil taste in the dish. i use bertolli extra light olive oil for frying/sauteeing because of it's higher smoking point. you could put butter into evoo to raise the smoking point too, but that also adds fat and cholesterol, a no-no in my house these days...
Butter has a much lower smoke point than olive oil. You add oil (of any kind) to butter to raise butter's smoke point.

Here's a chart: http://drinc.ucdavis.edu/dairychem7.htm
Old 02-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
I I'm thinking about making bottles of olive oil infused with hot peppers, herbs, etc. Any idears?
Infusing oil with FRESH herbs, garlic, peppers, etc. is ok if you keep the infused oil refrigerated and use it w/in 10 days to 2 weeks. Otherwise, it's an environment ripe for Botulism. It's NOT a long term thing.

Infusing with DRY herbs does not present the same botulism risk.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
Also, if you're going to infuse oil with say, rosemary and ancho chilis, make sure that the rosemary and chilis are completely submerged in the oil at all times. If any part of the herb or food item is sticking up out of the oil, that is the part where the bacteria will grow.

Botulism grows in an anerobic environment, so completely submerging fresh herbs or chilis won't protect you.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:34 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
Butter has a much lower smoke point than olive oil. You add oil (of any kind) to butter to raise butter's smoke point.

Here's a chart: http://drinc.ucdavis.edu/dairychem7.htm
:oops: , oops, lol, i meant to add another oil to raise the smoking point. thanks for catching my boo boo jennyema.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
One of my favorite olive oils is made by Isola Imports and is called "My Brothers Oil". It is an unfiltered oil with great taste and not to bitter and reasonably priced. The Isola web site offers several other very nice olive oils form all over Italy. Go to http://www.isolaimports.com.

bryan
Old 07-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #28
Executive Chef

If I cooked for a large family all the time I'd have a great variety of oils of all types. But I don't . I do have EVOO and I like to try different regions. Right now I have a Turkish one, Lio. A good basic Italian one is from Cento. I also have peanut and canola (grape seed) as it's a monosaturate like olive oil. Will check with my eye doc about that link to mac-deg.

For dipping I like to float a slice of garlic and a pool of balsamic vinegar in the bowl. not only yummy, but pretty too. I have a chef buddy in Spain who says what Americans get as EVOO is not the prime. Oil like beef and whisky has many intermediate grades. lol
Old 07-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
I also have peanut and canola (grape seed) as it's a monosaturate like olive oil.
Robo,

Canola oil is actually RAPEseed oil, not grapeseed. There is also grapeseed oil out there that is a bit fruity and nice for salad dressings.

The rumors about rapeseed oil being toxic are urban myths, btw.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:52 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Robo410, ask your chef buddy in Spain about Italian EVOO or Italian olive oil in general. I was advised by a fairly reliable source in Spain that most of Italy's olive oil comes from Spanish olives exported to Italy. It would be nice to have someone back that up.

I know Spain grows a lot of olives and grapes among other things but I was a little surprised that Italian make Italian olive oil out of Spanish olives. Wouldn't it really be Spanish Olive Oil since it is a raw product and not part of a recipe.

Bryan

Tags
None