Will hollandaise sauce last in the fridge overnight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickell

Senior Cook
I think I know the answer to this question but I hope I am wrong.

I want to serve my husband breakfast in bed. In the past I have
always got up very early and made it, by the time I was done he
is always already awake. So I am trying to prepare as much of
the breakfast I can the night before, and not have to get up so early too.

So here is my ? will hollandaise sauce last in the fridge overnight and if so
how would I reheat the sauce?

My thoughts are no it won't work can't save the sauce overnight

Hollandaise is very delicate and will break very easily, if not in the fridge, than definately while trying to reheat it. I would have my butter clarified and ready to go, then it should only take 5 minutes to make....10 if you don't make it often.

I would'nt reheat hollandaise sauce . It does not take so much time to do. Maybe you can prepar other things and just make the sauce when you wake up. It is about a few min to do .

Alton Brown says to keep the sauce in a GOOD thermos until ready to use. Many newer thermoses can keep liquids hot for 24 hours or more.

Home chef said:
Alton Brown says to keep the sauce in a GOOD thermos until ready to use. Many newer thermoses can keep liquids hot for 24 hours or more.

Have you ever made and tried to hold/store a hollandaise? A hollandaise will NEVER reach the temperature of a hot liquid (i.e. coffee or soup) which would be needed to keep it's heat for that long of a time. If you heat up a hollandaise that hot you'll scramble the eggs. Also, a hollandaise is an emulsion, held together by a very temperamental liaison. A thermos may be good for temporary transportation, but for a short amount of time only.

Alton Brown gives SOME good information, but one needs to pick and choose what's correct, what should be taken with a grain of salt, and what's just wrong. He has a reputation for putting out recipes that are inconsistent and don't come out. That should be a clue right there as to how reliable his information can be.

Last edited:
While not the purest way to do it, hollandaise will turn out pretty well in the microwave. It is quicker and your results are good ...

Back
Top Bottom