"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Yes. Try it by laying a saucer upside down in the bottom with something that would normally want to boil over. It will collect bubbles that will consolidate into large bubbles like those that form in plain water that will burp out from under the saucer and rise to burst on the surface. The idea is that even with the increased surface tension created by pasta starch or milk, regular size bubbles will still burst promptly, and the foam of fine bubbles that cause boil-over won't form.

I will point out, too, that we had a discussion a while back about heat transfer and the rapidity of boiling, and the point was that the water remained at the boiling point temperature and could rise no higher. Increased heat transfer caused more rapid boiling, which was conversion of more liquid to vapor, but the water temperature stayed the same.

So the actual cooking of pasta is as rapid in barely boiling water as in rapidly boiling. However, the rapid boil may somewhat take the place of some of the stirring needed to keep pasta from sticking to itself. But the "rapid boil" called for in boiling pasta is important only in the beginning, when the pasta is dropped in, so that as much heat is being transferred as possible, and the water returns quickly to a boil. Rapid boiling and the attendant increased tendency to boil over is not necessary and cooks no faster.
Thank you for once again making a great post with excellent explanations.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Yes. Try it by laying a saucer upside down in the bottom with something that would normally want to boil over. It will collect bubbles that will consolidate into large bubbles like those that form in plain water that will burp out from under the saucer and rise to burst on the surface. The idea is that even with the increased surface tension created by pasta starch or milk, regular size bubbles will still burst promptly, and the foam of fine bubbles that cause boil-over won't form.

I will point out, too, that we had a discussion a while back about heat transfer and the rapidity of boiling, and the point was that the water remained at the boiling point temperature and could rise no higher. Increased heat transfer caused more rapid boiling, which was conversion of more liquid to vapor, but the water temperature stayed the same.

So the actual cooking of pasta is as rapid in barely boiling water as in rapidly boiling. However, the rapid boil may somewhat take the place of some of the stirring needed to keep pasta from sticking to itself. But the "rapid boil" called for in boiling pasta is important only in the beginning, when the pasta is dropped in, so that as much heat is being transferred as possible, and the water returns quickly to a boil. Rapid boiling and the attendant increased tendency to boil over is not necessary and cooks no faster.
Perfect. Thanks GLC!

Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #23
Master Chef

If the flame is not reaching the pot, it would take forever to get water boiling. Can you replace the grate with a different one that will lower the pot to the flame?
Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

I would love to find a lower grate that fits, and that's the hard part - one that actually fits. I've even imagined some way to grind down the entire grate from the bottom up, but that's not practical for me.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversurf View Post
I would love to find a lower grate that fits, and that's the hard part - one that actually fits. I've even imagined some way to grind down the entire grate from the bottom up, but that's not practical for me.
Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Cooktops/Stovetops - Frigidaire

They may have the solution you are looking for. Thisd is the site for the company. They have a "contact us" at the top.

It sounds like the back burner is a "Low Simmer" burner. This is common on a lot of gas stoves.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

I contact Frigidaire. All they did was tell me I had to contact one of their "certified" technicians, all of whom are independent fix-it shops. I called one and they sent a technician, who told me everything looked OK. Though I have to say his demeanor and what seemed like an almost complete lack of interest didn't exactly instill me with confidence. So I really can't think of any other options. Just an all around unpleasant experience with Frigidaire.

The burner I'm talking about isn't the "simmer" burner, it's a 13,500 BTU (supposedly) burner.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #27
Master Chef

I'm sure your past will cook just fine without the lid after you take it of, when rapid boiling will start. As far as your stove goes, why don't you write a letter to the company, express your frustration. Why did you call them earlier, didn't you see that it is not working proparly before waranty expire?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #28
Master Chef

Riversurf, everyone has a boss and I can assure you that whoever you talked to at Frididaire would not want to deal with me or many others here.

You need to call them again and ask for the direct phone number/email addy for the Director of Public Relations at Frididaire, and don't let some low level phone person give you any lip. Refer the Director of Public Relations to this thread and your previous thread about this problem. I can assure you they can solve the problem, and will do nearly anything to avoid bad public reviews of their product. Don't give up!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Point taken, I'll go at 'em again, appreciate the encouragement.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Many stoves in a company's product line share some of the same parts. For example, the top on your stove (where the grates sit) could be shared with several models, including some lower priced ones that have lower profile grates.

It may take some effort to get them to dig it out for you but you should be able to get what you need.

Tags
pasta, techniques