Cooking pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
Can anyone share tips for using uncooked pasta in casseroles? I am also interested in cooking pasta in the microwave. I guess I am trying to get away from boiling a large pot of water to cook pasta. Any suggestions??
Beth

In any casserole type dish with the exception of lasagna, you'll need to cook the pasta under al dente. There should be more of firmness when you bite down on the pasta before you add it, since it will continue to cook and soak up liquid in the casserole. Some lasagnas you can add dry without boiling them first. Those will specify on the box whether you can or not.

Regarding cooking pasta in the microwave, I wouldn't do it. You won't be able to consistently get good pasta. A pot of boiling water is the best way. It wouldn't make sense to sacrifice texture and quality just to save on a few minutes.

Thank you for your response.

I buy pasta by the 10 pound box and it comes with NO directions. I have seen some recipes asking for uncooked lasagna pasta, but have not had the courage to try them.

And my motivation for looking into alternative cooking methods is energy conservation, not saving time. I REALLY like pasta and just feel guilty boiling so much water to cook it. Seems like I always have a pot of water on to boil...............

Beth

Back
Top Bottom