Favourite kind of Rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lynan -- do you cook the rice in the coconut milk, or pour it on after? It sounds good. I can't get kaffir lime leaves here, but would use some citrus rind or lemon balm.

I love Jasmine and Basmati rice. Both have a delicate taste and cook up wonderfully separated and fluffy. The US Long grain I bought here (in UK) is the worst rice I have ever tried, really hard big grains that you really have to chew.

My favourite way of cooking rice is simply in the rice cooker, or on the hob with stock to flavour and by adding spices to make an indian spicy rice. Leftover cold plain cold rice is often made into fried rice by adding the rice to some sauteed garlic, then adding a couple whisked eggs and whatever veg or meat I feel like-usually onions, mushrooms, peas and chicken.

Risotto is also fab. I like to use carnaroli (sp?) rice and use Jamie Oliver's basic recipe except I cut down on the butter used and it is still just wonderful.

Thai Jasmine rice (White and Brown) for meals and Thai jasmine sticky rice for dessert rice dishes such as mango sticky rice. I'm counting my blessings that I currently live in Thailand. There's a wide range of brands to choose from.

I also like sushi rice (like Calrose) for paella and sushis. Risotto definitely. Never tried basmati though.

I once tasted wonderful fried rice at a Mid-eastern/Persian restaurant that made me sit up! It had diced tomatoes and butter and some herb. I'd give anything to get that recipe! It went so well with shish kebab and roasted lamb.

Back
Top Bottom