When Partner Says No

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jade Emperor

Sous Chef
Hello.
I have been making my chicken Katsu for years and it is one of MrJade’s all time favourite dishes from me.
Just tonight, I asked how I might elevate the dish, make it even better! What might he think could make it even better?
He quickly responded that he does not want me to change my recipe in any way shape or form- my Katsu as it is, is his favourite dish.
So this leaves me a little conflicted, because I want to experiment with my recipes, but I am being told by my biggest fan to not change my recipe!
What would you do?

Okay, we have discussed and now he is in agreement with my thoughts.
Let me walk you through it all.
Katsu starts with Golden brand cubes. They have beaten me because I simply cannot find a recipe or substitute for them.
Next, water.
Then, peeled and chopped potatoes and carrots.
Into the pot, cook for one hour.
Meanwhile, cook a chicken breast that has been breaded, until golden, then serve sliced with the curry, potatoes and carrot sauce and served with Kewpie mayo.
It’s delicious.

But, me being me, what I want to try is roasted potatoes and carrots, and using a chicken stock to enhance this dish.

MrJade, although he loves my current recipe, has been persuaded to allow me to try my “elevate” idea!

What do you think?

@Aunt Bea - I love the quote ❤️
I may use that with your permission.
I think my idea will enhance the flavour of the dish without adding spices, herbs or salt based enhancements.
Just staying true to the original idea of the dish and being more specific about how each element is represented.
It’s where I am in my culinary journey, and I am going to try to continue for as many days as I am granted.

Does he cook? Does he help in the kitchen?
I sometimes ask for input on dishes. My wife in almost every case says "however".
So I don't ask her much and I make it the way I want. Never had a complaint yet. But she would not complain even if she did not like it. That's her way and one reason we are together 31 years.
So IMO it's best to make changes and choices in the kitchen without feedback from anyone.
I understand you want to please just as I do. But I will bet your partner will not notice (unless you make marked changes) and may like your new approach better.
My wife has only made dinner a few times since we have been a couple.
When I had surgery I could not cook so it was all up to her. I lost 19 pounds.

He seems OK with your trying it so go ahead. However, be prepared to go back the the recipe he loves if you get a thumbs down on the changes.

I deal with this regularly. SO tells me a dish is "great don't change a thing" when I have already been thinking, . . . ".. . next time I think I'll change it a little." Sometimes I sneak in minor changes.

Bless my husband's heart, only once in the 52 years we have been married has he said, "Let's not have this again." It was one of my mother's treasured recipes. That was when I realized she wasn't much of a cook!
Jade, go ahead and try it! It will enhance your cooking skills and enhance your husband's palate. If you don't try it, you don't know if you like it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom