"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #11
Master Chef

Gooey Cheese Sauce:
1 cup sharp, white cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup Gouda cheese, grated
1/4 log Velveeta original flavor.cut into cubes
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup steamed broccoli, blended until smooth (for that mild green that your looking for.
3 cups tri-color sprial pasta, cooked to AL-dente, and drained

Heat the milk until it looks ready to start boiling. Remove from heat. Add the cheddar and stir until smooth. Add the Gouda and stir until smooth. Add the Velveeta and stir until smooth.

Pour the pasta into a buttered casserole dish. Stir in the cheese sauce. Pour in the broccoli slurry and drag a tsp. through it to make swirls in the pasta/cheese mixture. Cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to serve. Heat to 145' F. to serve.

For the green eggs, simply cook spinach in water and drain the liquid into a sauce pan. Gently crack the egg shells in several places, and put the eggs into the water. Bring the water just to a boil, turn the heat down, and let the eggs cook for ten minutes. If you add a little vinegar to the water, it will help the color penetrate the shells. At the least, you will get spider-vein green on the egg white.

A better way, and I just thought of this, hard boil the eggs in the same manner as above, but without cracking the shells. After cooking for ten minutes, pour off the hot water and crack all of the eggs. Run cold water into the pan until the pan and eggs are cool. Remove the eggs and carefully peel them. Now, use some egg-coloring dye, water, and a pan large enough to hold the eggs and colored water. Use just enough vinegar to dissolve the dye. Let the eggs sit in the colored water for 30 minutes. Remove and drain.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Dry spinach pasta might be a good choice for this.

I would also try boiling the macaroni in water colored with green food coloring. If you don't want to use food coloring then I would try whizzing a package of frozen spinach in the blender and adding that to the macaroni cooking water.

I would try a small test batch before the big event to see if the color is even.
I think I'd be inclined to whizz the frozen spinach into the sauce to make that green.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I would try to find appropriate spinach pasta. Kids might not like spinach, but you can't taste the spinach in spinach pasta.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I would try to find appropriate spinach pasta. Kids might not like spinach, but you can't taste the spinach in spinach pasta.

If you overcook the spinach it would lose some of it's strong flavor and it would make it mushy enough to blend into the sauce. Or broccoli as Chief suggested. DH likes mac and cheese for lunch. I think I might try this on a small scale for St Patty's Day. Knowing him, though, he won't eat it.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I suppose that "Popeye" cartoons are considered inappropriate for children's television these days.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I don't think they would really taste the spinach. Actually, kids will eat just about everything if its covered in cheese!

Tags
cheese