Grits got runny with cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Usually when I make grits I just make em plain with a little salt and figure that the person eating them will figure out how to gussy them up as a butter or gravy delivery system.

This time I was asked to make cheesy grits so I obliged but had a consistency problem. I'm wondering why.

I made them as usual and cooked until they were pretty thick (like soft mashed potatoes - you can turn over the spoon and they stick for a time) but then after adding cheese they became quite runny. I added fresh shaved parm and a little cheddar to the grits and stirred until melted.

What did I do wrong? Why did nice thick, eat with a fork grits become runny with the addition of some cheese? Bowls and spoons were needed to eat them. Any ideas?

How hot were the grits when added the cheese?

Cheese should thicken them up. But if the grits were really hot the cheese might have separated... Was it clumpy?

They were really hot and no clumps. Very smooth. I suppose it's possible the cheese broke but I'm not sure how I'd know? There was no visible floating fat....

What grain is used to make grits?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Corn Charlie. It is more of a Southern Dish. Northerners don't make it too much. You would have to travel down South and get them at a restaurant, then fall in love with them to want to eat them again. I happen to love them. But a box of them last me forever so I don't buy them. :angel:

Cheese hates heat and should always be added off heat and when whatever you are adding it to is not too hot (bechemel, mashed potatoes, grits, etc).

If it's too hot the cheese will break. You might not see the gritty pieces in grits but that would explain the runniness

Cheese hates heat and should always be added off heat and when whatever you are adding it to is not too hot (bechemel, mashed potatoes, grits, etc).

If it's too hot the cheese will break. You might not see the gritty pieces in grits but that would explain the runniness

Jenny, would Parm cheese have a lot of oil in it? With most of the water having dried out due to aging, I wouldn't think there would be much else left except dried milk. :angel:

Jenny, would Parm cheese have a lot of oil in it? With most of the water having dried out due to aging, I wouldn't think there would be much else left except dried milk. :angel:

Good point, Addie.

Have you ever made a park frico? I'd does give off some oil but not as much as a softer cheese like cheddar (some of which was used in the grits).

I'm not sure what else could explain it...

Good point, Addie.

Have you ever made a park frico? I'd does give off some oil but not as much as a softer cheese like cheddar (some of which was used in the grits).

I'm not sure what else could explain it...

On further thought, there is some oil. When you toss the rind of the cheese into a pot of gravy, it gives off the oil in the rind. :angel:

Corn Charlie. It is more of a Southern Dish. Northerners don't make it too much. You would have to travel down South and get them at a restaurant, then fall in love with them to want to eat them again. I happen to love them. But a box of them last me forever so I don't buy them. :angel:

We buy and make grits regularly. We buy the stone ground yellow grits. They are not as refined and have a nice texture. They take 25 minutes compared to the white finer ground, but the little extra time is well worth it. We love them and I just put butter and S&P.
My wife and daughters put sugar on them. Yuk!

Thank you, but no thank you. Corn is not my thing.

Never know until you try.
They taste nothing like corn to me. Do you like polenta?

I love the flavor of yellow, stone ground but have a tough time finding it here in the PNW. Usually the white boxed (long cook) stuff is the default choice. All this grits talk has me thinking of making polenta tonight ;)

I love the flavor of yellow, stone ground but have a tough time finding it here in the PNW. Usually the white boxed (long cook) stuff is the default choice. All this grits talk has me thinking of making polenta tonight ;)
Maybe you could find them in a health food store.

Back
Top Bottom