"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraidKnot
Maybe I missed it but I didn't notice anyone mentioning beans need to be presoaked. You shouldn't just throw dried beans in a pot and expect them to cook up nice and tender. I do the 10 minute "quick soak" most of the time, but if I'm planning ahead I soak them overnight.

Fraidy
While the quick soak or overnight soak will shorten the cooking time, beans will eventually cook. The presoaks just shorten the time.
Salt does not affect the cooking except for flavor--it is better to salt while cooking so the salt is incorporated into the bean.
Age does matter as many have mentioned. Buy your beans where there is a turnover of product.
AND I love my pressure cooker for beans!!!!

Old 01-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
While the quick soak or overnight soak will shorten the cooking time, beans will eventually cook. The presoaks just shorten the time.
Salt does not affect the cooking except for flavor--it is better to salt while cooking so the salt is incorporated into the bean.
Age does matter as many have mentioned. Buy your beans where there is a turnover of product.
AND I love my pressure cooker for beans!!!!
A pressure cooker is a must for beans. Ask anyone living south of Texas and they'll tell you "Use a presssure cooker" . Every house in latin america has a pressure cooker for beans. You can get one for about $25 and they last a life time. Forget about pre-soaking and all of the science projects. With a pressure cooker the beans go from the bag to the pot and cook completely withing 30 - 40 minutes depending.

I make a fresh pot of black beans about 2 times per month. Good stuff!!!!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #23
Executive Chef

oh ya, made crispy bean soup once...old buggers...never again. a fresh bag each recipe...and yes, old beans from the pantry get used for blind baking (pie weights).

I have never presure cooked old beans...does it help??
Old 01-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
oh ya, made crispy bean soup once...old buggers...never again. a fresh bag each recipe...and yes, old beans from the pantry get used for blind baking (pie weights).

I have never presure cooked old beans...does it help??
Well, i dont really know how to determin how old beans are. They dont sit in my house long enough to get old i guess. I somehow think that a pressure cooker will cook them completely no matter how old they are.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey
Well, i dont really know how to determin how old beans are. They dont sit in my house long enough to get old i guess. I somehow think that a pressure cooker will cook them completely no matter how old they are.
Not even a pressure cooker will properly soften really old beans.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:22 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to jeterlover
Dried beans

Thank you everyone for all of your input about my chili bean dilemma. Needless to say I finally threw those beans out. I bought some new ones, boiled them for an hour, threw them in the crock pot and made the best chili I have made in years. I will be back soon.
Jeterlover
Old 01-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeterlover
Thank you everyone for all of your input about my chili bean dilemma. Needless to say I finally threw those beans out. I bought some new ones, boiled them for an hour, threw them in the crock pot and made the best chili I have made in years. I will be back soon.
Jeterlover

Glad you cooking experience was a success
Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #28
Sous Chef

I cooked some cannellini the other day that were just delicious. And I had had them for a LONG time. I even overcooked a bit, unfortunately--30 minutes.
It is almost impossible to tell if beans are old or not--the advice is to buy beans where there is a large turnover is probably best.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #29
Sous Chef

It's pretty obvious from all the other posts and the fact that your beans didn't cook after 5 hours... I'm surprised no-one's pointed it out.

You had "Has-Beans"!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #30
Cook

Learned that one the hard way too, jeterlover (can't stand that boy). I cooked some that were near that no softening point, but was lucky enough that they had consistency to the bean, rather than like rocks. I think the age of the bean does have a lot to do with it.
Keep on trying, though, they are versatile, good to freeze, and better if they are red w/ some rice over cornbread.
B.

Tags
None