How do you cook rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For 2 glass of rice; we use 3 glass of water...(on stove)

(Wash all the rice properly, leave fallow for 5 minutes and strain them before cooking)

Firstly, put two tbsp of flower oil or butter into the special rice saucepan (25 cm diameter and 5-6 cm deep). And add 2 or 3 tsp of salt (as you like) and 1 tbsp of vermicelli. (Cook medium temperature)

After turning vermicellis into lightly red, regulate the fire to low temperature. Add all the prewashed rice into pan and mix upside down for 30 seconds with a spoon.
Add 3 glass of water and stir a bit. Cook with medium temperature until boiling. After that adjust the fire again low temperature. Cook for 15 minutes. (Don't open the cover!)

TIPS:

1. For piece by piece and white rice: Put one slim slice of lemon or add a few lemon juice while cooking. Result will always be positive...(It's up to you)

2. For a different taste: If you like rice very much, then you can put a pinch of coconut on to rice while cooking. You will adore its smell.:) (It's up to you)

3. Allow to rest the rice after cooking: Put a paper towel on the saucepan and close the cover. Rest for 5-10 minutes. Paper will absorb the steam of the rice. So you can prevent the rices sticking each other. (This must be done)

Alper the cook :chef:

GB, that stuck to the bottom rice is what so many Hispanic cooks look for in their paella! However, avoid that by using a non stick sause pan (one good use for silverstone is rice, another is eggs, a third is scallops, and a fourth is reheating leftovers especially pizza.)

Just serve the rice is a bowl and put the pan to soak in hot soappy water. He or she who finnishes the rice, gets to clean the pot.

Though the above postings are absolutely correct, it really depends on what you are using the rice for. With long-grain white rice, follow what's been said above. For brown rice, which is mush healthier, the husk slows the cooking process. Add an extra 1/4 cup water per cup of rice, and increase the cooking time by fifteen minutes.

For short grain rice, heat a couple tbs. oil until fragrant, add the rice and stir until the rice loses its translucent quality. Then add the water, and salt, cover, and cook as above.

If you want to make a pilaf, again fry the rice in oil, then transfer to a baking dish. Add water or broth, and stir in the other ingredients. Cover, and bake for 45 minutes in a 300 degree oven. Be sure to place the baking dish over something to catch any drips in case of a boil-over in the oven.

The name of the dish escapes me, but it is very popular and deliscious. You fry the rice, then add broth, a little at a time, while continuously stirring, until you have added twice as much liquid as rice. Each time you add broth, you stir until it is all absorbed before adding more. This creates a very creamy and wonderful rice dish. You can add onions, mushrooms, diced chicken, etc.

Another favorite rice dish in our house is to brown a lb. of ground beef, rince and drain it. Add one package liptons chicken noodle soup, and a cup of rice. Add 1/2 cup each diced onion and celery. Optionally, add 1/4 tsp. ground thyme. Stir in 2 3/4 cups water, cover, and cook over low heat for 40 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff. This is a meal in one pot.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I can hear BC and Goodweed slap their forheads and in their best Homer Simpson voices say ... "doahhhh - I knew that!"

The mystery rice dish is called Risotto - and it's best made with short grain Arborio rice. Risotto is like a baked potato - you can do all kinds of things with it! Here are some links to some ideas: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=risotto+recipe

Last edited:
I juuuust saw the name elsewhere and came here to tell all about the "mystery" risotto - too late! I couldn't get the word orzo out of my head to think of it.

Thanks Michael. I feel quite silly.

BC

Robo410 said:
GB, that stuck to the bottom rice is what so many Hispanic cooks look for in their paella! However, avoid that by using a non stick sause pan.
Thanks Robo. I have heard that it is prosed before, but what I don't understand it how do they get it off the bottom of the pot to eat it.

How do I prevent it from sticking in the first place other than using a non stick pan or is it inevitable that it will stick?

Michael in FtW said:
I can hear BC and Goodweed slap their forheads and in their best Homer Simpson voices say ... "doahhhh - I knew that!"

The mystery rice dish is called Risotto - and it's best made with short grain Arborio rice. Risotto is like a baked potato - you can do all kinds of things with it! Here are some links to some ideas: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=risotto+recipe

"doahhhh - I knew that!" :LOL:
I taught my eldest daughter how to make a risotto about a month ago. It came out very nice.

Don'tcha just hate looking dumb? :wacko:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom