"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 08-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
Master Chef
Are you looking for something that is a full meal, or a rice dish meant to be an accompaniment to the other dishes? IT sounds like the latter.

If the latter, just cook the rice in chicken broth, then toss with a lot of fresh herbs after cooking (if all you have is dry herbs, put them in the cooking liquid before-hand). Particularly good in the cooking liquid before is thyme. For fresh after the fact almost anything goes, but lots of fresh parsley, sage, mint, lovage, burnettte, parsley (yes, I know I'm repeating myself). Nuts and seeds at this point are good, off the top of my head, slivered almonds or sesame seeds.

For a little bit of an edge, but not too much for most, you can put some chunks of fresh ginger in the cooking liquid, then pull them out before serving ... you'll get some ginger flavor without anyone actually biting into a piece, which might put some conservatives off. The ginger will compliment the sweet dishes As others have suggested, try jasmine or basmati rice for a different flavor without it being "too much".

Lots of green onions (scallions) or chives after cooking -- or better yet, both.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
Head Chef
People either love curry or hate it. I wouldn't try it with a conservative crowd. Last night I made brown rice, added some wild rice that was already cooked and had stashed in the freezer. I stirred in some sliced green onion and a dab of butter towards the end. Not fancy, perfect accompaniment to the meal. One could add some roasted, minced garlic, thyme, rosemary as well. Or go easy and add a packet of dried onion soup mix to the cooking liquid. (no additional salt needed)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote