"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,129
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
ISO- Arancini tips

In addition to the city government's chili cookoff, tonight I find out that my darling fiance has signed me up to cook for the staff party. Not that I mind, but I just wish I had more notice.

So I wanted to do something that would be easy to serve and easy for people to eat, and also vegetarian since many of the animal shelter staff don't eat meat, and I came up with Arancini.

I understand the concept behind making them, and am just wondering if there are any pitfalls I should look out for? I'm going to make a cheese-flavored risotto for the balls, and fill them with just a little more cheese and shiitake mushrooms. For a sauce I want to make a sort of creamy chanterelle sauce.

This course of action isn't set in stone at all, and I'd welcome any Arancini recipes that you all like. I found some good ones by Googling already, but it never hurts to have more.

Oh- and if anyone could recommend a type of cheese that they think goes well with chanterelles and shiitakes, I'd really appreciate that. Thanks!

__________________

__________________
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:13 AM   #2
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,783
I don't know how much help I can be, as my recipe has prosciutto. However, re the cheese, how about goat cheese? Perhaps a filling of mushrooms and/or shrimp. Tips - refrigerate the blls, work w wet hands, work fast, try to get as much filling in and use as little rice -- just my two cents.

This is not Arancini, but you might like this one to go with/mix them up:

Vegtaballs-

Instead of the Tomato/Basil/Mayo for the vegtaballs, you could serve them with tzatziki.
__________________

__________________
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:09 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Were I doing this, I'd add some fresh finely chopped parsley to my risotto, then make into the balls,make a well in the center and add a mixture of a creamy cheese say some finely diced mozzarella and some parmesan and finely diced prosciuto, close the rice around the filling and I'd roll the balls first in flour and then in bread crumbs, then I'd fry them in some evoo, mixed with reg. olive oil til golden and crisp, drain on paper towels..You can keep them warm in a 200 oven up to 20 min.. Hope this helps a little. When doing this kep you hands damp and the ice won't stick to you as much..It makes it easier to roll them.
kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:13 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Were I doing this, I'd add some fresh finely chopped parsley to my risotto, then make into the balls,make a well in the center and add a mixture of a creamy cheese say some finely diced mozzarella and some parmesan and finely diced prosciuto, close the rice around the filling and I'd roll the balls first in flour and then in bread crumbs, then I'd fry them in some evoo, mixed with reg. olive oil til golden and crisp, drain on paper towels..You can keep them warm in a 200 oven up to 20 min.. Hope this helps a little. When doing this kep you hands damp and the ice won't stick to you as much..It makes it easier to roll them.
kadesma
That's almost my exact recipe, but didn't post it, because of the prosciutto - serving vegetarians.
__________________
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:17 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
That's almost my exact recipe, but didn't post it, because of the prosciutto - serving vegetarians.
I just realized that but the prosciutto can be left out and the two cheeses would work beautifully.Thanks for letting me know..
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I just realized that but the prosciutto can be left out and the two cheeses would work beautifully.Thanks for letting me know..
kades

Great idea!

Another way to go is combining the cheese(s), seasonings & rice all together w/o making the well for the cheese filling, forming into balls - then dipping - then chilling.
__________________

__________________
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.