"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 03-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
Aria, lmcfadden dislikes the texture of oatmeal so is looking for something with some texture to it.

I think whoever mentioned granola is going in the right direction. You can make your own granola at home with any combination of lovely things. You can also be very label conscious and find some really good stuff in the store.

All you need really is oats, maybe some nuts, or coconut, some raisins or craisins maybe, bran, wheat germ, anything like that.

Then you mix your flavoring, you need some sweetener, usually brown sugar, some oil, and some water, I like to add maple flavoring, or vanilla to mine. Don't put too much on the dry mixture and Do work it through with your hands. It should feel moist, but not wet.

Set it in a low oven for several hours, stirring about every 20 minutes. You will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not sure how you will like your granola, but I like mine with some yogurt (peach is a favorite).

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:13 AM   #12
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by lmcfadden
I'm trying to eat healthier. I like all aspects of oatmeal... other than the consistency! I've searched the web for ways to make it more to my likings, but I've had little luck. I've found some recipes for baked oatmeal. But this takes more time than I have in the morning, and comes out like granola bars.

Is there something I can do to prepare oatmeal differently? Something I can try adding to it? I'm not really sure what I have in mind, but if it was a mix of oatmeal, and say, a crispy, crumbly coffee cake style toping, then I think I would enjoy it.

This is my first post, so I look forward to joining the community.

Welcome to DC!

I like added ground and whole flax seed, walnuts and honey to oatmeal. I also love Red River and Sunny Boy cereals (I don't know where you are from so I don't know if they are available in your area) - they are combinations of wheat, rye and flax that are healthy and have a great texture (less paste like).
There are also crunchy cold cereals that have oatmeal too.

*Be careful with the flavoured oatmeals (and what you add to your oatmeal) because often these additions are full of salt and sugar which take away from the reason you are eating it in the first place.

"Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings"
-Cheris Kramerae, author of A Feminist Dictionary, 1996.

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:48 AM   #13
Sous Chef
Hello Imc...

I make museli with oatmeal.
Use the whole flake oatmeal, rather than the one, where the flakes are ground smaller.
Put in an oven proof dish, with nuts and raisins. Bake and stir now and again, until it looks baked, but not burnt.
Stir in some honey, while it is still hot. When it cools down, put a lid on the dish. Then u can help yourself, from the dish, whenever u feel like a bowel of museli.

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:31 AM   #14
Senior Cook
Don't cook them. Make Swiss Oats. Use equal

parts of oatmeal( the old fashioned kind not quick cooking or instant) and

milk. Add a very small amount of sweetener if desired. I usually use about

1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup milk, and about 1/4 teaspoon honey. I add a few

dried cranberries, some chopped nuts then put in the refrigerator overnight.

In the morning I add a slided banana or grated apple or pear (sometimes

both )and eat. If I don't have any fresh fruit I add some frozen berries on

top before it goes into the refrigerator at night.
Lizannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #15
Send a message via MSN to Sage
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass
Another vote for steel-cut oats. McCains is a fancy brand in a white and gold tin, but in a big grocery store or natural foods store you should be able to find bulk oats.

Steel cut oats are also really good as "ris-oat-o"--toast them in a pan with a little butter, add chopped onions and garlic, and use chicken broth for the liquid. Finish with some parmesan.
This sound good.I'm not home at the moment but will try this for sure;
thanks for sharing

Sage is offline   Reply With Quote