Lasagna Ingredient Amounts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I'm interested in making the "Pepperoni Lasagna" recipe below (subbing in bulk turkey sausage & turkey pepperoni), but am really leery of the amounts. I mean, 2 pounds (i.e. 2 packages) of lasagna noodles, 2 pounds of sausage, etc., etc. for ONE 10 x 13 baking dish?? I make different lasagnas all the time & experience has taught me that half these amounts will sometimes overflow one baking dish.

Does anyone here see anything that I'm missing? Because otherwise I think cutting this recipe in half will definitely fill the normal 9/10 x 13" Pyrex baking dish. Thanks!

Blazy's Pepperoni Studded Lasagna Recipe : Guy Fieri : Food Network

Thanks. I mean, I know that his baking dish is 10 x 14 rather than 9 x 13, but don't think that that one extra inch gives one enough leeway to double everything. That can't be correct.

So you cut it in half - you'll still have a good lasagna dish. I think it's just an "if it's worth doing it's worth over-doing" thing :LOL: - "more is better".

I wish I had a deep dish lasagna pan that unlatch open - they are awesome!!! I'd use the recipe as is but just make it deep dish.

Oh I realize that. I just wanted to ensure that I wasn't missing something that would point to all that stuff fitting into one pan, which I don't believe it will. Frankly, I think the recipe erred & that those ingredients were meant to make two pans of lasagna - especially since the depth of the pan specified is only 3", which isn't a "deep dish" lasagna pan.

I also couldn't believe the recipe says to cook 2 pounds of lasagna noodles in only 6 QUARTS of water!!! I use between 8-10 quarts of water to cook just ONE pound of lasagna noodles, & even then they look crowded as they cook & expand. I can't even imagine using just 6 quarts of water for 2 boxes of noodles. They'd turn to glue.

I'm thinking something is fishy in Denmark as far as whoever prepped this recipe for publication, but I'm still going to amend it & give it a shot. Hubby really loves both turkey pepperoni & lasagna, so it should be fun to try.

Okay, I made this last night & wasn't impressed. And I love all sorts of different lasagnas - it takes very little to impress me.

For one thing, all of the ingredients are even more skewed than I originally thought. I might as well have just made the darn thing blind without looking at a recipe at all. It was more than obvious that no one at Food Network actually tested this recipe before posting it. Shame on you Guy Fieri!

Will you (or did you) post a review of the recipe? It seems to be a high rated recipe based on earlier reviews.

I haven't yet but guess I should. Even just ONE one-pound box of lasagna noodles was too much (I have 8 leftover noodles oiled & rolled up in the fridge to use in another application. Ricotta & sauce weren't enough either. Neither was the amount of sausage & pepperoni, & I used those amounts as if I were using the advised TWO pounds of noodles. I haven't read the other high-rated reviews, but can't believe I'm that poor a cook that all the amount problems would be attributable to me.

I think lasagna is a hard thing to measure for.... I couldn't tell anyone with any accuracy how much of anything I put in mine. Maybe the author has the same handicap??
No matter what recipe I try I end up short or too much of something!!!!

I just make sure I have plenty of everything now, and if there's extra its all (besides the ricotta, but I like cottage cheese better anyway) stuff that freezes just fine..... if there's extra cooked noodles I rip 'em up, put 'em in the fridge and have spaghetti for lunch with my extra sauce.
:)

Back
Top Bottom