"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

RB, I think you're on the right track for hiding what you want to keep! After all, you prepared it. Years ago, we had one piggy family member who would take nearly everything leftover and everyone would try to shame him for it, but he was shameless. That's when I began to insist on preparing the take home care packages and everyone except him was happy.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
RB, I think you're on the right track for hiding what you want to keep! After all, you prepared it. Years ago, we had one piggy family member who would take nearly everything leftover and everyone would try to shame him for it, but he was shameless. That's when I began to insist on preparing the take home care packages and everyone except him was happy.
Thanks Kayelle. It happens every year. Twice.
This year a I made two large baking trays of dressing. I saved about 1/3 of a tray that I hid.
If I had not hidden it, my MIL would not have had any to take home. I made cornbread stuffing just for her.

Its all kids and grandkids that are doing this. They each made themselves a giant plate, leaving only crumbs.

I worked with a guy that would take as much as he could from company celebrations. He was shameless as well. He always said it would save his wife from having to cook.
He really meant it was free. So why not.

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:05 PM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Sadly my guests took almost all the leftovers. Little did they know, I hid half of the remaining fixins in the very back bottom shelf of the fridge.

Anyone else have this issue? My sister used to take most all the remaining white turkey meat. Sometimes we did not know how much was gone until the guests were gone.
I have been hiding things for a few years now.
I feel a little funny doing it. What do you guys think?

Hide it? Inform guests take out will be prepared by me? Or just make extra, extra?
How rude! What pigs!

Yes, inform everyone ahead of time YOU will prepare the leftovers to go home with guests.

I would hide the extras in the garage and then lock it while guests are over. Where I live it is definitely cold enough to not need a refrigerator. But a cooler could suffice if weather a bit warm.

If anyone complains, tell them to bring the dressing or turkey next year.
profnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:49 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I can't imagine just helping myself to the leftovers. My M-I-L packs up a nice bundle for us to take home. I'm happy with whatever she doesn't want to keep. I wouldn't complain if I didn't get any leftovers. Jeebus, someone goes to the effort of making a nice meal for someone and then they thinkthey are entitled to leftovers? No, they are a gift.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Because she is family, your sister probably feels she is entitled to take what she wants. That doesn't make it right.

Announce at the dinner table that you will be happy to fix up a plate for anyone who would like to take some food home. But make sure you have containers for such a purpose. Very rarely does anyone ever return real dishes. Then about five years later, they wonder "where did this dish come from?" It is worth the extra expense to purchase sturdy large dinner paper plates. And heavy foil wouldn't hurt either. You want to make sure the food gets to their home in tact.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, you should ask first, regardless.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
How rude! What pigs!
Yes, inform everyone ahead of time YOU will prepare the leftovers to go home with guests.
I would hide the extras in the garage and then lock it while guests are over. Where I live it is definitely cold enough to not need a refrigerator. But a cooler could suffice if weather a bit warm.
If anyone complains, tell them to bring the dressing or turkey next year.
I do the turkey and the dressing as I trust no one else to do it. I should have done the rolls as well this year. The ones brought over were not nearly as good as Parker House Rolls that I make. They are frozen Bridgeport dough rolls you thaw and rise. And they are great!
The bottom back of the fridge worked well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Because she is family, your sister probably feels she is entitled to take what she wants. That doesn't make it right.

Announce at the dinner table that you will be happy to fix up a plate for anyone who would like to take some food home. But make sure you have containers for such a purpose. Very rarely does anyone ever return real dishes. Then about five years later, they wonder "where did this dish come from?" It is worth the extra expense to purchase sturdy large dinner paper plates. And heavy foil wouldn't hurt either. You want to make sure the food gets to their home in tact.
You are right Addie. I should. But to be honest, I really was not as disappointed as my wife was.
The dressing was made especially for my MIL. I usually make bread stuffing. Next time, I will make her a smaller tray. Just for her. And make bread stuffing as well. I use the same ingredients except bread vs cornbread.

My children and especially my grandchildren have always made themselves at home here.
My grandson is always eating. So they are used to helping themselves.
So, it seems we have created this.
Christmas is next, but this is a buffet, bring something kind of deal. So I have until next Thanksgiving to concern myself with leftovers!.......lol

I appreciate the responses.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I do the turkey and the dressing as I trust no one else to do it. I should have done the rolls as well this year. The ones brought over were not nearly as good as Parker House Rolls that I make. They are frozen Bridgeport dough rolls you thaw and rise. And they are great!
The bottom back of the fridge worked well.

You are right Addie. I should. But to be honest, I really was not as disappointed as my wife was.
The dressing was made especially for my MIL. I usually make bread stuffing. Next time, I will make her a smaller tray. Just for her. And make bread stuffing as well. I use the same ingredients except bread vs cornbread.

My children and especially my grandchildren have always made themselves at home here.
Christmas is next, but this is a buffet, bring something kind of deal. So I have until next Thanksgiving to concern myself with leftovers!.......lol

But you got to love them! After all, it is family.

BTW, you might try making some Pepperidge Farm or Stove Top stuffing and leave it sitting out in a separate bowl for you sister to see. Then you won't care if she takes the whole bowl of it home. You will still have your personally made stuffing. Yes, I do have a devious mind.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Sadly my guests took almost all the leftovers. Little did they know, I hid half of the remaining fixins in the very back bottom shelf of the fridge.

Anyone else have this issue? My sister used to take most all the remaining white turkey meat. Sometimes we did not know how much was gone until the guests were gone.
I have been hiding things for a few years now.
I feel a little funny doing it. What do you guys think?

Hide it? Inform guests take out will be prepared by me? Or just make extra, extra?

This happened here too. SO usually portions take-out potions for our daughters. This year my younger daughter did that and was very generous with her and her sisterís portions. We still had some turkey. Iím super happy they enjoy my cooking that much.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

RB, this sounds like a teaching moment of manners for your kids and grands. Leftover holiday food doesn't just magically appear for the taking.

Assuming they are all old enough to cook, they should each be contributing a dish to the table in order to share their leftovers with other family members. Only then will they get the idea of "sharing" and not "taking'.
I'm reminded of my piggy family member who took home most everything, and always only brought a package of store bought dinner rolls. Ack...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast, dressing, fast, turkey