"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #21
Head Chef

If it is plain, you can turn it into rice pudding. Or, fried rice--one always uses leftover rice for fried rice.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Thanks everybody! These are great ideas!! :o)

Old 12-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Konya001040
Fried rice is always an option, as some other people mentioned already. Makes for a very quick meal, especially if the rice is already cooked. I like to heat up some sesame oil in my carbon steel wok then saute some fresh garlic and ginger in there until the aromas become apparent (browned garlic ruins entire dishes) Then add any vegetables I want in there. Obviously, the things that take longest to cook would go in first. Mine usually goes something like:

Carrots > peppers > onions > peas > cooked rice > soy sauce > scallions

Then sometimes I give it a little sweet Thai chili sauce I got in the international aisle at the grocery store. It's always good as a side dish to stir-fry dishes or any other Asian kind of food. Sometimes I'll toss some shrimp, chicken, pork, or beef in there and make a meal out of it.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #24
Senior Cook

I'd make my rice casserole. Here's the recipe. It's delicious.

Rice Vegetable Cheese Casserole
Serves 4 to six

I’ve made this so many times, but have never measured or written it down.
It’s delicious every time and doesn’t really need specific quantities.
Just put in what you like or have and leave out what you don’t. The only “musts” are the rice, butter, cheese and liquid. Here’s what I put in mine, but you can make it your own with your favorite ingredients.

3-4 cups cooked rice.
4-6 TB. butter or margarine
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2-3 cups sliced tomatoes, white or yellow onion slices, sliced mushrooms, broccoli and/or zucchini or any veggies of your choice.
1 cup liquid. It can be chicken or vegetable broth or white wine or a combination.
Water is OK too.

Spread a cup of cooked rice on the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Layer
veggies on top of the rice. Dot with 1-2 TB butter, divided so that you have 5 or 6 “dots”.
Sprinkle with to 1/3 cup of the cheese. Repeat until you run out of rice and vegetables.
It doesn’t matter what ends up on top, but some cheese is nice. Pour the 1 cup of liquid over the whole thing. Cover and pop into a 350 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes or until it’s piping hot in the center. Serve with crusty French bread and a fruit salad.
Tastes even better the second day!

Tags
None