"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,357
Macaroni & Cheese Souffle

Macaroni & Cheese Souffle
3 oz elbow macaroni
melted butter -- to coat
3 tbl bread crumbs
4 tbl butter
1 tsp nutmeg
1/3 c all-purpose flour
1 1/4 c milk
6 tbl grated cheddar cheese -- or Gruyere cheese
4 tbl grated parmesan cheese
salt & freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
3 eggs -- separated

Prepare macaroni according to pkg. Drain & set aside. Preheat oven to 300°.

Brush inside of 1 qt souffle dish w melted butter. Coat evenly w bread crumbs, shaking out any excess. Pour butter, nutmeg, flour & milk in saucepan & bring to boil slowly, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth & thick. Simmer a minute. Remove from heat & stir in cheeses until they melt. Season w salt & pepper & mix w macaroni.

Beat in egg yolks. In clean bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form & spoon a quarter into sauce mixture, beating gently to loosen it up. Using lg metal spoon, carefully fold in rest of egg whites & transfer to prepared souffle dish.

Bake about 40-45 mins until souffle has risen & is golden brown. The center should be wobbly slightly & souffle should be lightly creamy inside.

__________________

__________________
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:31 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
mudbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
mish, I don't get it. do you spoon the souffle over the cooked, set-aside macaroni?
__________________

__________________
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:16 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
luvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: da 'burgh
Posts: 9,673
yum. as soon as i saw the title i said 'mmmmmmm'. :D i have gotta try that one.
__________________
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Re: Macaroni & Cheese Souffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Remove from heat & stir in cheeses until they melt. Season w salt & pepper & mix w macaroni.
Does this help mudbug?
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:50 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
mudbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
DOUBLE DUH on me. thanks, elf. Do YOU know where my brain has gone lately??? humble apologies, mish!
__________________
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
LOL mud - it's probably running around the neighborhood with mine screaming - I'M FREE - I'M FREE!!!!
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:37 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
mudbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
LOL, yeah, and they're probably having cocktails too!
__________________
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,357
Hi Mudbug.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. While, I have not tried this recipe yet, it caught my interest & wanted to share it. Here's my interpretation (see what you think):

In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks & pour over macaroni/sauce mixture.

In another bowl, beat/whisk egg whites until soft peaks form & spoon a quarter into macaroni/sauce mixture; COMBINING gently to loosen it up. Using lg metal spoon, carefully fold in rest of egg whites & transfer to prepared souffle dish.

Sometimes it's easier for me to visualize the recipe, as I'm preparing it. Disappointed the author of the cookbook didn't make things more clear.
__________________
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:11 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2
feeling a bit brain dead at the moment - what does "amp" stand for in the recipe below




Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Macaroni & Cheese Souffle
3 oz elbow macaroni
melted butter -- to coat
3 tbl bread crumbs
4 tbl butter
1 tsp nutmeg
1/3 c all-purpose flour
1 1/4 c milk
6 tbl grated cheddar cheese -- or Gruyere cheese
4 tbl grated parmesan cheese
salt & freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
3 eggs -- separated

Prepare macaroni according to pkg. Drain & set aside. Preheat oven to 300°.

Brush inside of 1 qt souffle dish w melted butter. Coat evenly w bread crumbs, shaking out any excess. Pour butter, nutmeg, flour & milk in saucepan & bring to boil slowly, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth & thick. Simmer a minute. Remove from heat & stir in cheeses until they melt. Season w salt & pepper & mix w macaroni.

Beat in egg yolks. In clean bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form & spoon a quarter into sauce mixture, beating gently to loosen it up. Using lg metal spoon, carefully fold in rest of egg whites & transfer to prepared souffle dish.

Bake about 40-45 mins until souffle has risen & is golden brown. The center should be wobbly slightly & souffle should be lightly creamy inside.
__________________
patw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by patw
feeling a bit brain dead at the moment - what does "amp" stand for in the recipe below
patw,

For some reason that I don't understand, the ampersand (&) is going through as &amp. Possibly the recipe was copied and pasted from mish's files??? It happens sometimes.

Barbara
__________________

__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baked Macaroni and Cheese to Kill For Raine Eggs, Cheese & Dairy 11 01-13-2007 09:32 AM
Macaroni and Cheese Puff abjcooking Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains... 3 04-29-2005 12:29 PM
Hamburger macaroni and cheese ttreasures Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 2 12-29-2002 10:20 PM
101 Burger Builders Filus59602 Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 1 11-02-2002 11:19 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.