"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thank you Spork! I may not be able to read it, but I can see the symbol, I've duplicated it onto the margin of my shopping list! Now I can look for it! I figure the instant will travel better to work.

I will freeze it in one cup batches. That's what I use for a bowl of soup, can always double it when I cook rice.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
Sushi requires only seasoned rice to be sushi. The mat is used for making certain types of rolled sushi. You can make "authentic" sushi with a press or with nori cones filled on the spot or with nori battleship rounds. I LOVE sushi, but if you are looking at sushi as a health choice, consider whether the carb/protein balance works with your metabolism and goals. Sashimi is better for me, because carbs make me hungry. I eat a lot of sushi, and love to make it, but if I am feeling pudgy (like after Christmas) or nutritionally out of balance, sushi isn't where I go.
Thanks, Nora! Sushi is my way of incorporating more vegetables, that I like, into my diet. And for putting neat, new foods into my Bento Boxes. I started out wanting to learn to make rolled Sushi, like you see in the stores. Now that I have studied it, I understand Sushi and see it for what it really is...a finger food. What counts is what goes into it. My horizons have expanded from my initial desire to learn about making Sushi.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
I eat a lot of sushi, and love to make it, but if I am feeling pudgy (like after Christmas) or nutritionally out of balance, sushi isn't where I go.
I agree. Sweet carb with a touch of sour to get saliva going is a recipe for overindulgence, as I always do with chirashi zushi, trash sushi, a rice bowl topped/mixed with all the leftovers of a sushi restaurant, such as irregular ends of raw fish fillet. I eat it like a pig; nothing healthy about it.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #34
Head Chef

Spork, you have so much information! Thank you for that.
Fiona - I like the bento box idea and the sushi idea for portion control reasons.

I've used the wasabi powder, and just mixed it with water. There are probably better ways to make a wasabi sauce/or paste.

My favorite rolled sushi is with raw shrimp or raw scallops, chopped, a little mayo and some wasabi. My dipping sauce is usually soy sauce with wasabi, and I have some pickled ginger on the side.

When we make rolled sushi with veggies, we use any combination of carrot, cucumber, avocado, peppers-all colors, green onion, etc, and a little cream cheese or sauce (mayo, soy, wasabi, ginger). Steaming the crisper veggies seems like a good idea for chewability sake. If you use seaweed wrappers, they can be quite chewy, but they get softer the longer they sit against the seasoned rice.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Spork, you have so much information! Thank you for that.
Fiona - I like the bento box idea and the sushi idea for portion control reasons.

I've used the wasabi powder, and just mixed it with water. There are probably better ways to make a wasabi sauce/or paste.

My favorite rolled sushi is with raw shrimp or raw scallops, chopped, a little mayo and some wasabi. My dipping sauce is usually soy sauce with wasabi, and I have some pickled ginger on the side.

When we make rolled sushi with veggies, we use any combination of carrot, cucumber, avocado, peppers-all colors, green onion, etc, and a little cream cheese or sauce (mayo, soy, wasabi, ginger). Steaming the crisper veggies seems like a good idea for chewability sake. If you use seaweed wrappers, they can be quite chewy, but they get softer the longer they sit against the seasoned rice.
I am doing really good with the portion control. I've been using the bento "Idea(l)" for all meals. And have learned to have a snack between meals, oranges, bananas, a little hummus and crackers. I am losing weight! It's been a fun discovery and journey.

Now I have to pay a bit of attention to my baking.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Strange Combinations

If you're willing to be a little adventurous, you can make some pretty wacky combinations that are really tasty. Some of my more successful rolls include:

Apple slices, toasted walnuts, parmesan slices
Sauteed spinach and portobello mushrooms
Roasted cauliflower with goat cheese
Tomato, mozzarella and basil
Sliced egg, avocado and roasted red pepper puree
Mashed black beans with guacamole and salsa

I think my favorite approach is just looking at what I have leftover in the fridge and figuring out what sounds like it might go well together. As long as you use things you know you like, you're very unlikely to make something that tastes terrible.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #37
Cook

If you want to make sushi without raw fish and even a bit lower on the carbs here are some ideas. One thing I like to do (because I am on a low carb diet at the moment) is make what I call "finger rolls". If you're familiar with a sushi "hand roll" this is like a mini version of that only without rice. Basically, what I do is I pick up these "Nori Strips" which are crunchy roasted seaweed just like the larger sheets you'd make hand or cut rolls with but these are about the size of a finger. They have them at a lot of oriental markets and actually they're good even just on their own (like chips!).

Anyway, I take them and individually wrap them around whatever the filling is which can vary (shrimp, crab, krab, scallops, lobster, avocado, steamed octopus, conch...). One great thing about doing this is that the seaweed stays crunchy! Nori can get soggy and chewy pretty fast and in my opinion it's best when a roll is eaten shortly after it's made (one of the benefits of eating from the sushi bar!).

Here's an example made with a really great spicy shrimp filling.

Here's the recipe for that spicy shrimp. You mix some mayo in a bowl (and if you're on a diet you can use something like Smart Balance with Omega 3 etc. - I am and it's fine to me). Put some masago (smelt eggs) in there, chop up some green onions and put that in there too. Then a few drops of sesame oil and chili oil (or you can get "Hot Sesame Oil" which has both in one). There's also a bit of red chili sauce you can add in there too. Mix it around and then add in your cooked shrimp (chopped or not). That's it!

In the pic above I added some avocado too. The cool thing about this finger roll idea is that you really only need to eat as many as you're actually hungry for. One thing that can be frustrating about full size rolls is that once the roll is there you feel the pressure to eat them all until they're gone. They don't save very well otherwise (although I have a fun idea on how to "spark up" a sushi roll left-over if you want to know). Anyway, with your spicy shrimp salad, sesame tuna dip, smoked salmon dip or whatever your filling is you can keep that in the bowl and only make as many as you're going to eat!

All around without the rice and with portion control it's pretty tasty and not too bad if you're on a diet. You can even cut out the mayo if you want (but we all have our limits... that's useful glue and a nice vehicle for the spicy flavor. A tough one for me to leave out but it can be done!).

I made a whole album on here of some ideas along these lines if you want to see more.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Sushi is NOT necessarily raw seafood (or even seafood at all,) it is:

A Japanese specialty based on boiled rice flavored with a sweetened rice vinegar mixture called sushi meshi, with seafood, usually cooked, and vegetables wrapped with nori. It is usually served with pickled ginger and wasabi paste. It can be strictly vegetables if you desire.

Sashimi is sliced raw fish or other seafood, usually NOT wrapped with nori (seaweed paper), but resting atop a bed of sticky rice and served with a selection of condiments such as Daikon radish, gingerroot, wasabi and a soy-based dipping sauce.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post

Sashimi is sliced raw fish or other seafood, usually NOT wrapped with nori (seaweed paper), but resting atop a bed of sticky rice and served with a selection of condiments such as Daikon radish, gingerroot, wasabi and a soy-based dipping sauce.
When I was in Japan Sashimi never came out on a bed of rice. It usually came out looking something like this.
Sashimi | I love all recipes, foods from AllRecipes.com
Old 05-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
When I was in Japan Sashimi never came out on a bed of rice. It usually came out looking something like this.
Sashimi | I love all recipes, foods from AllRecipes.com
The sashimi I got didn't look like that when I was in Okinawa in the early seventies...

Oh, well!

Tags
dashi, mirin, recipe, rice, rice vinegar, seaweed, wasabi

Need Help with Sushi Yesterday, I decided that I wanted to learn to make Sushi and eat a lot of it. Especially if I can make it low sodium. Today I bought: [LIST] [*]sushi rice [*]nori [*]kumbo [*]bonita flakes [*]mirin [*]plum vinegar [*]shitake/shoyu concentrate [*]pickled ginger [/LIST]I have on hand: [LIST] [*]lots of soy sauce, shoyu, tamari [*]sesame oil [*]many spices [*]sesame seeds [*]canned tuna (Albacore) and canned Sockeye Salmon [*]Yellow Rockfish (?) and Cod, usually have tilapia on hand, too [/LIST]Veggies, I am ready and willing to use any and all veggies. Most have to be close to pureed for me to be able to eat them and I do have problems with most fresh vegetables. I plan on using many types of fish and, even though it is not traditional, chicken...haven't quite figured out how to incorporate pork...yet.:smile: I will not be using raw fish of any kind. Any help with ideas would be appreciated and I would like the recipe for Dashi, again. I thought I had copied and pasted it, if I did, I hid it from myself really well. Thank You 3 stars 1 reviews