"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Cook

Need Rice Consult!

Help! I am seeking brown (whole-grain) rice that is not sticky when cooked...that comes out "dry" rather than "wet" and heavy, and whose grains are separate rather than sticking together (basically, like the yummy rice you find in Indian and some Middle Eastern restaurants, except brown). Do I need converted rice? Basmati? Jasmine? What length of grain would be right? I'm on a quest!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

You need to get short grain brown rice. Brown rice is a bit heavier than white but there's no need for it to be sticky. I usually get this at the healthfood store and prefer Lundbergs brand - but there are other excellant ones as well.

Most importantly is the cooking technique.

Toast the uncooked rice in your pan (med-high heat) in a small amount of butter. Perhaps 1 Tbls for 1 to 2 cups of rice, stirring regularly until rice is a little toasted. This only takes a few minutes. Then add your cooking liquid and salt. Cover and cook. For 1 C of rice I use about 2.5 C of water. The rice takes about 50 minutes to cook.

The toasting helps keep the grains separate and adds a wonderful nutty flavor.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Buy a rice cooker that has a brown rice setting. Then you'll never have to worry about it again.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Head Chef

No 'brown rice' button required; for my rice cooker I simply change the water to rice ratio and the cooker does the rest: 1.5 c water to 1 c white rice OR 2 c water to 1 c brown rice.

There are tons of different types of brown rice (same as white). I buy brown "jasmine" rice most frequently because I like the way it smells and fluffs after it's cooked.

Here's a great write-up @ Saveur on the different kinds:

Quote:
Any variety of rice—whether it's the longer-grain types like those produced in the southern U.S. or the short- and medium-grain kinds like those Greg Massa and many other California farmers grow—can be milled to the brown rice stage. The nine rices discribed here represent a range of distinctive textures and flavors.

1. Some Asian producers package a version called quick-cooking brown rice, from which part of the bran has been milled off, cutting cooking time considerably; quick-cooking brands are sold online and at many Asian markets.

2. Widely available in supermarkets, long-grain brown rice, usually of the indica subspecies, requires more water and more time to cook but yields grains with a springy character that's nicely suited to casseroles and other baked dishes.

3. Medium-grain brown rice, usually of the japonica subspecies, tends to be stickier and more tender when cooked than long-grain rice; it's the most common type grown in Spain and is ideal for paellas.

4. Brown basmati rice, grown in South Asia, gets longer, not fatter, when cooked and develops a firm, dry consistency, making it perfect for biryanis and pilafs.

5. Aromatic jasmine rice has the elegant look of long-grain varieties but cooks up moist and tender, like a medium-grain rice; it's available at most Asian markets.

6. Nicknamed baby basmati, tiny kalijira rice grains could almost be mistaken for couscous; sold at Whole Foods markets, they're a fragrant, quick-cooking marvel.

7. Nutty-sweet red rice, also available at Whole Foods, owes its color to a pigment in its bran layers; some types are sweet enough to use in puddings.

8. Ideal for croquettes and risottos, short-grain brown rice, whose grains are barely longer than they are wide, can have an almost creamy texture when cooked.

9. Expensive and hard to find in the States, Japan's haiga-mai is a partially milled rice from which the bran has been removed but not the nutrient-packed germ, or embryo.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I just cook it like pasta. I boil it in lots of salted water and check it frequently with a slotted spoon. When it reaches the al dente stage I immediately strain it and put it back in the pot and pour cold water on it until it becomes cool. Then I strain it again and leve it drain in the strainer. It comes out nice and firm and the individual grains do not stick together.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Cook

Thanks, all, for the very informative responses. After posting last night, I cooked a cup of brown jasmine rice, and it tasted great, but the grains weren't as separate or "dry" as I'd hoped. I'll do some experimenting according to your suggestions. Tx again.

Tags
rice