"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #61
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
...I've made versions with meat mixed in with the pasta and sauce. One of the kid's favorites was with chunks of smoked kielbasa and green beans. Crumbled Italian hot sausage works well, too.
The sausage sounds good Steve. Do you use Italian cheeses with it too? I could see this with some mozz and parm/romano.

Whenever we have leftover ham AND I make mac & cheese it seems like the ham likes to climb into the dish with the mac...

Old 12-14-2013, 01:43 AM   #62
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
The sausage sounds good Steve. Do you use Italian cheeses with it too? I could see this with some mozz and parm/romano.
Yes, I've made that one with mozzarella and parm, but I've also used pepper jack, and that's pretty tasty with the sausage, too.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #63
Executive Chef

My husband likes tomatoes in mac and cheese, but I don't like anything added to it. Just pasta and cheese sauce. When my mother made it, it formed a burnt crust of cheese on top and my brother and I used to fight over that. I can't seem to get that same effect.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My husband likes tomatoes in mac and cheese, but I don't like anything added to it. Just pasta and cheese sauce. When my mother made it, it formed a burnt crust of cheese on top and my brother and I used to fight over that. I can't seem to get that same effect.
Spread cheese on top after baking and pop it under the broiler until you get the color you're looking for.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Pop it under the broiler for a few minutes. But you may be better off with the memory than trying to recreate it.

I too put tomatoes in mine.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Spread cheese on top after baking and pop it under the broiler until you get the color you're looking for.

The color my mother achieved was so dark brown it was almost black! LOL
Old 12-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #67
Executive Chef

Quote:
The color my mother achieved was so dark brown it was almost black! LOL
Have you ever made parmesan crisps/tuiles? You place a heaping tablespoon of grated parm on a cookie sheet on top of a silpat. Then bake in a 350 F, preheated oven until bubbly and golden. Remove from oven and let cool. It will have a cracker like texture. Really goes well with mushroom risotto!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #68
Executive Chef

Quote:
Have you ever made parmesan crisps/tuiles? You place a heaping tablespoon of grated parm on a cookie sheet on top of a silpat. Then bake in a 350 F, preheated oven until bubbly and golden. Remove from oven and let cool. It will have a cracker like texture. Really goes well with mushroom risotto!

I had to google "silpat." Now it's on my wish list for Amazon, to be included in my next order!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #69
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
They should still be pliable when you first take them out of the oven. You can quickly form them over the bottom of a small glass to make a mini bowl for an appetizer.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #70
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
They should still be pliable when you first take them out of the oven. You can quickly form them over the bottom of a small glass to make a mini bowl for an appetizer.
But you have to be careful that what you put in them doesn't have much (if any) liquid cause they will soften over time. I like my risotto to be just very slightly on the runny side and even in just the short time it takes to eat, they start to get soft on the side down in the risotto.

You can also use parchment paper. I don't use wax paper though as I think it gives off a funny taste.

Oh, and I do them at 375. Craig doesn't make them and he got temp wrong. He also forget to mention you have to watch them once they start getting close to being done cause they go from perfect to over-cooked quickly and it is a major taste difference. They should be a light golden brown.

Tags
cheese