"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #21
Head Chef

the basil wont burn if you add it once the heat has been turned off...the premade pesto was probably chilled a bit either way, if it was premade as you said it had to have been sitting in a fridge

the cream and white wine mellows the taste of the basil which is why it isnt as pronounced in the restaurant

Old 01-13-2006, 10:22 PM   #22
Cook

Maybe I should let it sit in the fridge also, but the main point I want to get across is:

I REALLY DONT THINK THE SAUCE IS MADE OF BASIL LEAVES EXCLUSIVLEY. I THINK THEY USE A MIXTURE OF OREGONO, BASIL, AND PARSLEY. THEY JUST CALL IT A BASIL PESTO FOR SIMPLIFICATION

I wish there was a way for you guys to taste what I have tasted, but if any of you guys live in the chicago burbs area, please visit that place and try out the dish and taste for yourself. I am dying to know what it is made of. It is very simple recipe, but i just suck at technique (considering i dont know how to flip)

for store locations, go to www.noodles.com and you can find 1 closest to you

thanks for all your help guys.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #23
Head Chef

I Went And Tried It!!

Ok, so the ladies at work have been talking about this really good, new, fast food italian restaurant in town so on a whim, I asked them the name. It's a Noodles & Company!! So I thought, "Self, let's do some investigating ..."

I ordered the dish and asked the staff "You are calling this pesto so I assume there is ONLY basil in this dish".
They replied, "Yes, only basil, EVOO, garlic, parm., etc..."
I then pressed them with "There is NO other spice ... oregano, parsley, kale (I got that from you Mish) - right? Because those all upset my stomach "
They replied "No, NOTHING else" and then they gave me a small sample of only their pesto, before it was tossed with the pasta and cream.

All I tasted (and saw - there was texture, it was not creamy) was basil ... was it a little tamer than homemade - yes but it would have to be. I am guessing it is premade and shipped to their various sites to ensure consistancy in their menu options. The time it is sitting is going to allow it to mellow some. Also, they might have their own breed of basil, I know mine is different than my mom's 5 blocks away simply because of the soil and what I feed it. Also, how old the basil is before you even start the process will affect the taste (sweeter, a bit skunky, mellow, etc...). But I digress ...

As was mentioned before, you can watch them prepare your dish so ...
They quick sauted mushrooms (I'm guessing these were predone, the saute was to reheat) and fresh, diced tomato.
They then added a scoop of the cream / wine mixture and they were using 1/4 cup ladles (no, I didn't ask, I just know the size from experience).
They then moved the pan over about 2 feet, I'm guessing to remove from heat (you can't see the burners) and added a ladle (1/4 cup again) of pesto.
Flip, Flip, Flip, Scrape, Flip, Flip, Flip, Scrape, dump into bowl, hand to next person to add cheese and a sprinkle of parsley.

That's it.

Basil. That's all there is.

The dish was actually quite good. I took it back to my office and picked around on it for a while to investigate it further. I also had my office mate taste it as well and she agreed, only basil.

Anyone else have a food mission or quandry to solve? This was almost as fun as the guy who listed the ingredients for their challenge and we all gave ideas and recipes ...
Old 01-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

My favorite Pesto recipe, but adjust garlic according to your taste:

3 large garlic cloves
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, coarsely grated (2/3 cup)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups loosely packed fresh basil
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

With food processor running, drop in garlic and finely chop. Stop motor and add nuts, cheese, salt, pepper, and basil, then process until finely chopped. With motor running, add oil, blending until incorporated.

Cooks' notes:
• Pesto keeps, its surface covered with plastic wrap, chilled, 1 week.

Makes about 1 1/3 cups.

I always use Costco's Grana Padano Parmesan instead of the more expensive one.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:22 PM   #25
Cook

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

JMEDIGER, I REALLY REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE YOU TRYING OUT THE DISH, AND I AM GLAD YOU ENJOYED IT. NOW THAT THE MYSTERY IS SOLVED, I GUESS THE DISH IS

EXCLUSIVLEY MADE UP OF BASIL LEAVES ONLY

SO THAT MEANS SEVERAL THINGS:

I TOTALLY SUCK AT TECHNIQUE, AND NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRY, I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO REPLICATE THEIR DISH FOR 3 REASONS:

#1 THEIR SAUCE IS PRE-MADE AND PUT IN THE FRIDGE, WHICH CAUSES A MELLOW TASTE OF THE SAUCE.

#2 THEY HAVE A CERTAIN BREED OF BASIL LEAVES, THAT I CANNOT IDENTIFY, CONSIDERING THAT I JUST PICKED UP BASIL LEAVES IN THE PRODUCE SECTION (ASSUMING THAT THERE IS ONLY 1 BREED OF BASIL LEAVES)

#3) I SUCK AT TOSSING, AND I DONT WANT MY FOOD TO FALL ON THE GROUND.

I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT PUTTING MUSHROOMS, TOMATOES, AND THE CAVATAPPI

THE HARDEST PART IS MAKING THE SAUCE EXACTLY THE SAME WAY THEY MAKE IT.

OH WELL I GUESS ILL TRY AGAIN THEN

THANKS AGAIN
Old 01-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #26
Cook

Btw What Is "evoo"

And I reallly dont think they put that much garlic in their sauce, along with parmasean cheese
Old 01-14-2006, 05:28 PM   #27
Head Chef

evoo is Extra Virgin Olive Oil ... While there are several strands of basil (lemon, cinnamon, etc...), what you bought at the store was probly just plain old basil. What recipe are you following for your pesto? There were alot of good ones shared here - I would really encourage you to try one (just the plain old basil pesto). You don't need to toss in the pan if you are only using the pesto with pasta. Dump your pasta in a bowl and pour your pesto out of the food processor (or blender - whichever you are using) onto it and mix it in the bowl.
You can make your pesto as mellow as you want by using less basil and more evoo and cheese or more punchy by using more basil. Let it sit in the fridge for a bit before using as well and see how that goes.
Finally, I am GUESSING they have their own basil just like McDonalds has their own potato for their fries. It would guarantee consistancy in their flavors.
Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2006, 01:34 AM   #28
Cook

The type of basil i want is something that matches exactly with the dish you tried. I dont want any other type of basil.

I am assuming that they reduced the amount of parmasean and garlic in their pesto sauce. I put 2 cloves of garlic in one of my previous attempts, and holy crap was it strong! i dont need that strong of a garlic.

By the way, do you think they added any additional salt and pepper or any other seasonsings to the dish?

Has anyone else been to that place, and tried that disH?

thanks everyone for all your help and input
Old 01-15-2006, 09:07 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Is anyone else getting tired reading about a dish which seems to have been pre-cooked and then reconsituted?!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #30
Cook

No Ishbel, Cause The Dish Is Awesome! :-p

Tags
None