"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Cook

Rice cooking (w/a cooker), a bit of a dilemma.

Hi I am new to this forum. I love cooking curries and other spicy stuff. I have a rice cooker Russel hobs. If I cook for myself I will put about 120 grams of Basmati rice and about the same of water but this is in the form of 80% water 20% coconut milk ( a good quality blue tragon). This takes aprox 4 minutes.

My problem is I am going to do a banquette and I want to do a lot of coconut rice. Inside there are scales showing 10 cups and 1.8 and a symbol. Could be litres? I want to know how long it would take to cook these large quantities. Would half that amount cook in half the time? Is it proportionate?

Thanks for your help. I need to know this in advance as I can't experiment with this kind of thing.

Desmond.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I am not sure if this will render accurately in all browsers. The symbol for litre looks like a cursive letter "L" with the leading tail shortened.
Does the symbol look like this

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
Hi I am new to this forum. I love cooking curries and other spicy stuff. I have a rice cooker Russel hobs. If I cook for myself I will put about 120 grams of Basmati rice and about the same of water but this is in the form of 80% water 20% coconut milk ( a good quality blue tragon). This takes aprox 4 minutes.

My problem is I am going to do a banquette and I want to do a lot of coconut rice. Inside there are scales showing 10 cups and 1.8 and a symbol. Could be litres? I want to know how long it would take to cook these large quantities. Would half that amount cook in half the time? Is it proportionate?

Thanks for your help. I need to know this in advance as I can't experiment with this kind of thing.

Desmond.
I would think that the 1.8 refers to litres. 1.8 of a pint would be a bit difficult to manage. As to the cups - an American measuring cup holds 8 fluid ounces of water. (I'm sure someone will correct me there if I'm wrong.)

How many people are you cooking for? Generally speaking, the more people you are cooking for the less per person you need to prepare. Hmm, how can I explain that? If you are cooking for 8 people you would probably need twice as much as you'd serve to 4 people but if you are catering for 28 people you wouldn't need to serve 7 times as much as you would to 4 people because you'd have too much. Prue Leith explains the equation in one of her books but it's at the bottom of one of a dozen boxes in my garage atm. Sorry. I'm sure someone on DC has been a professional caterer in the past but I can't, off hand, remember who.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Executive Chef

1.8 litres is approximately 10 cups. Put 10 cups of raw rice into the cooker, then fill it to the 10 cup (1.8 litre) mark on the bowl with your water/coconut milk mixture.

You can download the instruction manual for your rice cooker at Kettles, Toasters, Irons & Kitchen Appliances - Russell Hobbs International

Remember, when all else fails, RTFM!
Old 09-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I am not sure if this will render accurately in all browsers. The symbol for litre looks like a cursive letter "L" with the leading tail shortened.
Does the symbol look like this
Yes it looks exactly like that. But is a Cup a standard measure. seems to be arbitrary. This suggests a cup = 180 milli liters, but some websites say between 200 - 250 ml. Filling it up to the 1.8 ltr mark weighs 2.8kg. 1 ltr should weigh 1kg.

Still need to find out how long a full rice cooker would take
Old 09-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
1.8 litres is approximately 10 cups. Put 10 cups of raw rice into the cooker, then fill it to the 10 cup (1.8 litre) mark on the bowl with your water/coconut milk mixture.

You can download the instruction manual for your rice cooker at Kettles, Toasters, Irons & Kitchen Appliances - Russell Hobbs International

Remember, when all else fails, RTFM!
I'm sure I'm going to regret this, Sir Loin, but what does RTFM mean?

Oh hell, it's just struck me!!! Yes, I see.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'm sure I'm going to regret this, Sir Loin, but what does RTFM mean?
RTFM = Read The F(use your imagination here) Manual
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Finely-Tuned
Old 09-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Cook

Come on guys -> RTFM
I have downloaded the manual and as I said previously it does not give any times for cooking rice. It gives times for cooking carrots and fish etc but not rice. Contacted manufacturer and they seem clueless. What I wanted is some people professional knowledge of cooking large amounts of rice i.e. 1kg of rice to one litre of water. I didn’t think it would be this hard a question. :(
Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If it wasn't that hard of a question, you would have found the answer by now, ya think! We are a group of foodies, very few professional cooks. I fill my rice cooker with the required amounts, set and let it go. I've never timed it, usually start if before I go to bed and it's done when I get up in the morning.

Tags
cook, cooking, rice