Risotto with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Basil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Risotto with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Basil
1 ounce sun-dried tomatoes (about 14), packed without oil
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups water
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can vegetable broth
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
1 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Shaved fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
Basil sprigs (optional)

Combine tomatoes and 1/2 cup boiling water in a bowl; cover and let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain and chop.

Combine 2 cups water and broth in a saucepan; simmer (don't boil). Keep warm.

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in rice; sauté 5 minutes. Add wine; cook 1 minute or until wine is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring often; cook until each portion of liquid is absorbed before adding next (about 25 minutes).

Add tomatoes; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, basil, and pepper. Garnish with cheese and basil sprigs, if desired.

GADZOOKS! mish can I come live with you? You are hitting all my happy food zones today. Risotto...cappuccino cake....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

Looks like we have similar tastes Alix...all the GOOOD STUFF! Thanx again. Sure, come on down. :)

If I keep trying all your recipes I will have to WADDLE down. ;) Keep em coming. I love them.

Alix, we could make a pact, we'll only try a bite of each & save the rest for later - ha.

LOL! Later to me could mean a matter of minutes! I love food too much. Pasta is a special weakness of mine too.

Question, my sundried tomatoes are packed in oil. Why the no oil caveat? Does it mess up the recipe?

Alix, it probably says no oil because it's trying to be healthy. I bet if you drained off the oil and then patted up any excess, you'd be fine.

Pasta is my weakness too, Alix. Since it's a Cooking Light recipe, sure we could use the sun dried tomatoes in oil & of course skip the boiling water to rehydrate them. See what you think.

Or - use all the light ingedients & we can have it all - right now:) At least, that's my philosophy - Uh-Oh.

Gotcha. I think I will try the full fat version. (How bad can olive oil be anyway) If it works out I will maybe move to the lower fat/calories version.

I must say though, calories taste GOOD!

Back
Top Bottom