Stupid Microwave Rice Cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
I have a microwave that only has 1 power setting. High. It has reheat too, which I suspect is alittle less.

I recently got a microwave rice cooker which looks rather expensive (gift from my mom). I have used it and it calls for 5 minutes on high, then 10 minutes on medium. When I do 5 minutes on high then 10 on reheat, the rice is either soup or burnt. Can someone help me?

Right now all I do is kinda remove the lid periodically in the "reheating" process, which lets alot of steam out and the rice suffers. I normally get alright rice but its not what it should be.

Mikey. it's too bad you can't get the rice cooker to work. It sounds like a good tool. Is your owner's maniual any help?

I read somewhere that microwaves have only one power level and that they get different "power levels" by turning the magnetron off and on during the cooking time. You could try doing the medium portion of the cooking process in segments, running on high for a few minutes, waiting a minute or two, then repeating until done. Don't open the lid in between. Some experimentation would be necessary to get the times right.

Hi. I use a microwave-safe bowl with a lid to microwave rice. All I do is put in 1 cup of rice, 1-1/2 cups of chicken stock with 1 tbsp. of oil and some seasonings, then cook it on regular (high) power for 7 minutes, open it and stir, then cook on high for 8 more minutes. I get perfect rice every time. I learned that if I don't stir, it can be a bit crunchy at the end :)

Hope this is helpful.

Mikey; I always cook rice in the microwave.

Untitled Document The larger picture is what I use for cooking it in. You must cover the rice with water. I usually cook enough for 2 of us and try to have none left over. It's trial and error at first. The amount of rice I cook takes about 10 to 12 mins, open the door and check on it if unsure.
When it's cooked, run boiling water over it whilst in its strainer. If you prefer you can wash the rice first, i always do it afterwards. It turns out very well with soft fluffy grains; not sticking together. No soup, no burning. Don't give up. Give it a try. It really does make lovely rice. After it's washed you can add, cinnamon or lemon zest or whatever you feel like.
Our microwave is a 900watt.
You need to adjust the time according to the wattage of your microwave.

One thing I never, not ever, make in the microwave, is an omelette. That would be a desecration of an omelette.:)
Good luck. It does work I promise you.

Back
Top Bottom