"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 01-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I've been making homemade mac & cheese for a while and never had this problem. I bought the store brand whole wheat macaroni pasta which contains durum whole wheat flour, some egg and soy products.

I first make a roux with butter and flour, add milk and let the sauce cook 5-10 minutes. I then add the cooked pasta and toss in the cheese just to melt it. This time, my daughter mixed in the cheeses while the sauce was almost to a boiling point and stirred it for a bit longer then added the cooked pasta. It could have been the extra cooking time with the cheese in the sauce. Who knows. I'm going to experiment.

If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
Master Chef
Grainy cheese sauce is almost always because the heat was too high for the cheese. Like Andy says, add the milk to the roux and combine, bring to a boil, then take off heat and add in cheese, stirring briskly to incorporate.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote