Your favorite pasta dishes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefAlexCardinale

Assistant Cook
What are your favorite pasta dishes? What is your favorite kind of pasta?
I love ziti, fettuccine, and spaghetti.
My favorite pasta dishes would have to be:
-Chicken Parm
-Chicken Francaise
-Chicken Marsala
I truly feel that Francaise and Marsala are best served with pasta as you can scoop the sauce right over the aldente pasta.
I love meatballs too.
Pesto sauce is a huge hit.
Alfredo sauce once in a while.
So what about you guys and gals?

What are your favorite pasta dishes? What is your favorite kind of pasta?
I love ziti, fettuccine, and spaghetti.
My favorite pasta dishes would have to be:
-Chicken Parm
-Chicken Francaise
-Chicken Marsala
I truly feel that Francaise and Marsala are best served with pasta as you can scoop the sauce right over the aldente pasta.
I love meatballs too.
Pesto sauce is a huge hit.
Alfredo sauce once in a while.
So what about you guys and gals?

I prefer long pastas - spaghetti, linguine, fettuccine, etc. Not really a fan of rotini, fusili, penne, ziti et al.

Fetticcine Alfredo, Spaghetti ala carbonara, true Bolognese, Sunday Ragu with meatballs and sausages over spaghetti, pasta with basil pesto (try it with pistachio nuts).

I don't consider XXX Parm, Francaise and Marsala as pasta dishes as they all can be served without pasta.

Pasta with butter. Pastina with butter. Pastina in chicken broth with a shirred egg. Alfredo pasta. I love the sauce. And I don't like my pasta so al dente that it is almost still raw.

Mac and cheese. Notice what is missing? Any pasta dish with tomato sauce. I love meatballs, but only if they are baked.

I grew up on Italian pasta dishes. So much so that now I am sick of the them.

For baked pasta, I'd have to say Lasagna al Forno would be my choice.

For sauced pasta, it depends on the sauce and our mood. I really like bucatini or rigati with Sunday Gravy. Potato gnocchi it can be a red sauce or brown butter-sage sauce. Lobster ravioli gets a red bell pepper sauce. Butternut squash ravioli gets the brown butter-sage sauce for sure. There is a homemade spinach pasta and onion sauce in this thread:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...inach-flavored-pasta-green-pasta-93217-2.html

There are many others, but I'm in the middle of browning onions for a soup.

I prefer long pastas - spaghetti, linguine, fettuccine, etc. Not really a fan of rotini, fusili, penne, ziti et al.

Fetticcine Alfredo, Spaghetti ala carbonara, true Bolognese, Sunday Ragu with meatballs and sausages over spaghetti, pasta with basil pesto (try it with pistachio nuts).

I don't consider XXX Parm, Francaise and Marsala as pasta dishes as they all can be served without pasta.
Sounds good. I like having carbonara for Easter.

Pasta with butter. Pastina with butter. Pastina in chicken broth with a shirred egg. Alfredo pasta. I love the sauce. And I don't like my pasta so al dente that it is almost still raw.

Mac and cheese. Notice what is missing? Any pasta dish with tomato sauce. I love meatballs, but only if they are baked.

I grew up on Italian pasta dishes. So much so that now I am sick of the them.
I hope I don't get like you when I get older. I've had pasta all of my life, so I hope I continue to enjoy it. I forgot to mention Mac and cheese. I love mac and cheese.

I have had some of the best pasta dishes made by the little old Nonnies straight from Italy that couldn't speak a word of English. My mother cooked New England dishes. All my friends were Italian. I couldn't go into any house but a plate of pasta of some sort was offered to me. My daughter husband's family is Italian. So she has been cooking Italian for more than 30 years. She too loves to feed me pasta dishes with tomato gravy. I learned to make pasta gravy from the very best. I have had enough. :angel:

I'm very open to any type of pasta and sauce combos.

I make zoodles (zucchini noodles) for my pasta these days.

What are my favorite pasta recipes; the once that have pasta in them.

That being stated right up front, I do admit that I do love orzo, and penne rigate, and cavatappi, manicotti, lasagna noodles Spaghetti, Elbow Macaroni.

And I pretty much love all red sauces, Alfredo's, Morney, carbonara, melted butter, brown butter, creamed pearl onions, etc. with pasta. Why, I've even been known to throw some good pasta and chili together occasionally.

If it's my Dad's goulash (American Style) I need to have the rotini. If I'm going to use conchiglie (shells), It has to be the large, or jumbo variety so that it can be stuffed.

And don't even get me started on which shapes are best in various kinds of soups.

I love pasta, as stated in my first sentence, and use each type listed for a specific recipe, though Spaghetti can be used almost universally (except for stuffed pasta recipes). And no, I have no Italian ancestry.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I prefer pasta made with eggs, so:-

- Lasagna

- Spaghetti Carbonara

- Egg tagliatelle or egg spaghetti with pesto (with added toasted pine nuts and parmesan on top)

I love a good lasagna. Angel hair pasta with meat sauce. Thai or other Asian dishes with glass noodles. Ramen. While I'm not a fan of mac and cheese, a place we go to in Mexico serves wonderful lobster mac and cheese with penne and sprinkled with crushed Cheetos.

Last edited:
I forgot to include lasagna on my list - as long as it's a Bolognese lasagna with no ricotta.

Mmmm.....pasta. :yum: I've been on a stuffed shells kick for a couple of years now. I love them stuffed with a mixture of crumbled sweet Italian sausage, egg, spinach, ricotta, parm, and topped with mozzarella.

Other than that, I'd have to say lasagna, cold orzo salads with lots of crunchy veggies, angel hair with alfredo, and mac and cheese are among my faves.

Stuffed shells from a few months ago...

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 217
I love all kinds of pasta dishes, too. Some of my favorites:

- lasagna
- spaghetti with meatballs and marinara sauce
- spaghetti with meat-tomato-bell pepper-garlic-onion sauce
- mac 'n cheese - traditional or with jalapeno - I made it with cavatappi last night
- lobster ravioli with roasted red pepper-cream sauce
- Asian chicken pasta salad
- Thai satay pasta salad
- tuna pasta salad
- stuffed shells with seasoned ricotta topped with marinara sauce and mozzarella
- stuffed shells with Italian chopped salad

I agree with Andy that X Parmesan, X marsala and X piccata are not pasta dishes; pasta is generally served on the side of those dishes, but it's not the main event.

Last edited:
For baked pasta, I'd have to say Lasagna al Forno would be my choice.

For sauced pasta, it depends on the sauce and our mood. I really like bucatini or rigati with Sunday Gravy. Potato gnocchi it can be a red sauce or brown butter-sage sauce. Lobster ravioli gets a red bell pepper sauce. Butternut squash ravioli gets the brown butter-sage sauce for sure. There is a homemade spinach pasta and onion sauce in this thread:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...inach-flavored-pasta-green-pasta-93217-2.html

There are many others, but I'm in the middle of browning onions for a soup.

As a kid, my mother used to buy bucatini all the time. I loved the little hole in the ends and always tried to suck up any sauce left on my plate. "Stop playing with your food. That is not a soda you are trying to suck up!"

I bought it once for Pirate and now he wants it all the time. Pastene is the only brand I can find it in. Almost $2 a package. Not on my grocery list that often. :angel:

There's not too much i don't like.

I recently discovered bucatini and love the stuff.
With that said, linguini I love, and can take or leave
angle hair.

My favorite dishes are:

traditional marinara with linguini
bucatini all' amatriciana
lasagna (with lots of ricotta)
spaghetti alla vongole
puttanesca

I do a thing and don't know what it's called.
I sauté shrimp in butter, olive, garlic, bail, and parsley.
Then pour over a bed of linguini; add pecorino to top.
Sometimes I use clams.

I love my Carbonara, but lasagna and Penne a la Vodka are right up there as well.

Attachments

• carbonara.jpg
    carbonara.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 230
Back
Top Bottom