Anyone eat Indian food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the rogan josh, and the coconut currys. Lamb rogan Josh is nice and smooth, I know you said no lamb, but they have made it with chicken that I have seen at a few restaurants :)

I also get my Indian food very mild...my tummy doesn't do well with the spicy dishes like Vindaloo (althought my DH can eat it til the end of time as long as he has his naan :P Being British as well, it is a national pastime for he and the lads to eat good Indian food hehe) Also, the basmati rice is usually fantastic... try a touch of tamarind sauce too! Very different but oh so good, like a sweet fruity chili suace...not real sure how to describe it It is REALLY yummy, especially with meat samosas or chicken pakora.... sigh now I need to get some! LOL
I am a samosa and pakora addict lol

I've been buying the Maya Kaimal brand curry sauces and making pretty good Indian at home. i've used the Tikka sauce and the Tamarind curry with good results.

Markgill, how do you make the Kulfi dessert?

Last edited:
Indian food is one of my absolute favourites!! parkoras, dal, naan, rita, curries! mmmlove it all!
infact yesterday i recieved a vegetarian indian cookbook all of the food looks authentic and whatnot and i am very phyced to the recipes!!

:) Alot of Indian restaurants do a lunch buffet during the week that way you get to try a whole bunch of dishes all at once then you can figure out what you like best by tasting a little bit of alot them.

I enjoy Thai Noodles, some indian guy I work with turned me onto them, dunno if its indian food, but theyre good.

Love, love, love Indian food; and there is none available within hours of where I live. Luckily I have a Pakastani friend who lives in Chicago but weekends here. They introduced me to "Kitchens of India' foods that I can just nuke and make up some basmati rice. I do make my own curries and tandoori, but the numbers of spices needed to make the various dishes taste right is just too much to have on hand if you only cook it a few times a year, so I love this "find".

I agree that the lunch buffets at many Indian restaurants are a great thing. I'm really not a buffet fan in general, but Indian foods take well to it, and it is a fun way to experiment so that you know what you will like if you have to individually order the next time you go out.

Indian food can also be very good for vegetarians. A couple of buffets I've been to over the years will have two lines, meat and meat-less, or will label the meat-less dishes as such.

Indian food

Go for a Thali which will allow you to taste many dishes! Chicken Makhani is wonderful! It is boneless tandoori chicken in a creamy sauce YUMMO! Dal is usually served as well as nan or paratha.

I love garlic nan and onion kulcha. I love Indian food and often cook it. I have traveled throughout the many regions of India on business and the food is wonderful every where, especially the dosa and idli in Kerela!:rolleyes:

By the way, BBQ, yes, Thai food often does have a heavy Indian influence. As does Indonesian, some Hawaiian, etc. Indians in the 1800s moved across the globe in search of employment. So much of New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, Southeast Asia, etc, have a cuisine with that lovely influence. When I lived in Hawaii, one of my favorite things to do was Thursday afternoons at the Willows. The dish to order was Hawaiian curry. It was rather blatantly Indian influenced, although it was considered a "native" dish. I think it was Indian via Indonesia. We loved it. There were some lovely older ladies who would wander around with guitars and ukuleles. I learned many years ago that it was lost, but my goodness, what fun it was. I would put on my best muumuu, and a straw hat with a lei on it. So, yes, Indian food has made its influence known around the world.

Yes the Indian diaspora has greatly affectly many of thr world's cuisines in Africa, West Indies, Malaysia and on and on.

What I love is desi Chinese! That is the best Chinese ever. When I am in Delhi I always eat out this special food. The recipes are Chinese but with Indian spices and ingredients.

Most common is Chicken or veg Manchurian.

Helo :)

I think it would all be good.
Anyway, the restuarant will be used to people requesting unspicey food. Just ask them, which dishes are not spicey.

Me

BBQ Mikey said:
I enjoy Thai Noodles, some indian guy I work with turned me onto them, dunno if its indian food, but theyre good.

Pad Thai, Pad Kee Mao etc. are Thai dishes but many Indians love Thai food!

Want to make them at home check out my recipes on my site-I am not selling anything just offering tried and true authentic Thai recipes. I have traveled all over Thailand during the last 20 years 30+ times and learn so much on each trip.

Thai Food Help and Information

Claire said:
By the way, BBQ, yes, Thai food often does have a heavy Indian influence. As does Indonesian, some Hawaiian, etc. Indians in the 1800s moved across the globe in search of employment. So much of New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, Southeast Asia, etc, have a cuisine with that lovely influence. When I lived in Hawaii, one of my favorite things to do was Thursday afternoons at the Willows. The dish to order was Hawaiian curry. It was rather blatantly Indian influenced, although it was considered a "native" dish. I think it was Indian via Indonesia. We loved it. There were some lovely older ladies who would wander around with guitars and ukuleles. I learned many years ago that it was lost, but my goodness, what fun it was. I would put on my best muumuu, and a straw hat with a lei on it. So, yes, Indian food has made its influence known around the world.

Thai curries have really nothing to do with Indian curries/masalas. Totally different ingredients.

Thai curries use chiles, kapi (shrimp paste), lemongrass, shallots, fish sauce, etc. Whereas Indian masalas utilize a wide compilation of both meat and weet spices.

Some southern Thai around Hat Yai (Muslim area) use more tumeric and are incluenced by the Malay curries.

Indian curries i Thailand yes i Indian restaurants like The Standard in Little India in Bangkok, but a Thai curry is a Thai curry. Some Thai curries are dry sans coconut milk. However many are familiar with the coconut milk curries. Only in S. India like Kerela do they use coconut milk in any curries.:chef:

Instead of making a new thread, I figured I'd just post in this one.

I've been eating Indian food as of late, and before I decide what it is I want to try to cook, I would like to keep experimenting with new dishes. So far I've had lamb vindaloo, lamb rogan josh and palak paneer, all of which I've liked.

Any suggestions of things I should try? A brief description would be appreciated.

This is a delicious lentil dish. It's written for a pressure cooker but you don't need one. I just simmer until everything is tender.

Dal Makhani
2 Red Chile Peppers
1” Ginger Piece
2 Garilc
1 C Urad Saboot (whole black beans)
2 Tb Channe Ki Dal (split gram dal)
1 Tb Ghee or oil
1 1/2 tsp Salt
5 C Water
4 Tomatoes (14 oz. Can)
3 Tb Butter
1 Tb Kasoori Mehti (dry fennugreek leaf)
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
2 tsp Ketchup
1/2 C Milk (if needed)
1/2 C Cream
1/4 tsp Nutmeg

Soak the peppers in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Make a paste of the peppers, ginger and garlic in a food processor.

Wash and pick over the beans. Place them in a pressure cooker with the garlic, ginger, pepper paste and the tablespoon of ghee or oil, the salt and the water.

Bring the pressure cooker up to pressure and cook for 40 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Puree the tomatoes in a food processor and add them to the pressure cooker along with the butter, Kasoori Mehti, the Garam Masala and the ketchup. Simmer for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally and mashing the beans slightly.

Add some milk if the mixture appears too thick.

Continue cooking to thicken.

Stir in the cream and nutmeg.

India just like other countries has a wide range of foods from South to North. Southern food uses bright spices with coconut and a lot of rice in their diet. Northern food is milder, creamier and prefer roti (wheat tortilla) in their diet.

If you would like to experiment with Indian food I would suggest trying a couple of things - One is more southern influenced and the other more northern.

Spicy Potatoes:

These Potatoes are delicious and eaten as a stuffing in Dosa but you can eat it just by themselves and inspired by Southern style of cooking

3 large potatoes (idaho are fine) boiled, peeled and cut into cubes
1 large onion cut into large cubes
3 cloves of garlic finely minced
1/2 tsp of salt and turmeric powder
1 tsp of lime juice
cilantro to garnish

For tempering
Oil
2 dry arabol chillies broken into small peices (discard the seeds)
1 small green chili
Handful of curry leaves
2 tsp of whole brown mustard seeds
2 tsp of whole cumin seeds
2 tsp of raw urad dal (optional)

In a pan add the oil. When the oil is super hot, throw in the curr leaves, red chillies and reduce the heat. Now add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dal. Next add the garlic and onions and cook it for a few minutes. Add the diced potaotes, turmeric, salt and lime juice. Stir carefully. Cover and let it cook on low for 15 minutes or so.

Garnish with cilantro and serve as a side or with roti bread (available in Indian stores)

Baingan ka Bharta

This is a northern dish and very popular in India.

1 large eggplant roasted : I place it in a foil, drizzle it with some canola oil, hit with some salt and close the foil and place it in an oven pan and let it roast until it's soft

Once the eggplant is cooked. Let it cool and then peel the charred skin and discard the seeds. Rough chop the eggplant (it will be mushy) and put it in a bowl and reserve.

Now you need the following:

1 small onion finely diced
2 medium tomatoes finely diced
3 cloves of garlic finely diced
2 tsp of cumin seeds
2 tsp of cumin and corrainder powder freshly ground (toast the seeds lightly and then powder it in a spice grinder)
salt to taste
1 tsp of paprika
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1/2 cup of yogurt
1 green chili
cilantro for garnish
1 tbsp of oil
1/2 cup of water

In a pan add oil and temper it with cumin seeds. Next add the onions and cook them until they are golden brown. Next add the garlic, chili and all the ground spices and tomatoes. Cook this until the tomatoes release their water and turn into a pulp. Next add the water (1/2 cup tap water) and reduce the temperature. Add the yogurt and stir it with the water to ensure it's not lumpy. The reason to add the water first is so that the yogurt does not curdle. If you add the cold yogurt directly to the spices it will curdle.

Now add the eggplan and cover and cook on low for 15 minutes or so. Garnish with cilantro and serve with roti

I will share a few recipes later for Chicken and a ground lamb/beef kabab preparation that is delicious. You can send me a PM if you are looking for specific recipes.

:chef:One of my favourite sites for Indian recipes with many instructional videos and phots is

ifood.tv | Food Video Recipe Community

:LOL:

India just like other countries has a wide range of foods from South to North. Southern food uses bright spices with coconut and a lot of rice in their diet. Northern food is milder, creamier and prefer roti (wheat tortilla) in their diet.

If you would like to experiment with Indian food I would suggest trying a couple of things - One is more southern influenced and the other more northern.

Spicy Potatoes:

These Potatoes are delicious and eaten as a stuffing in Dosa but you can eat it just by themselves and inspired by Southern style of cooking

3 large potatoes (idaho are fine) boiled, peeled and cut into cubes
1 large onion cut into large cubes
3 cloves of garlic finely minced
1/2 tsp of salt and turmeric powder
1 tsp of lime juice
cilantro to garnish

For tempering
Oil
2 dry arabol chillies broken into small peices (discard the seeds)
1 small green chili
Handful of curry leaves
2 tsp of whole brown mustard seeds
2 tsp of whole cumin seeds
2 tsp of raw urad dal (optional)

In a pan add the oil. When the oil is super hot, throw in the curr leaves, red chillies and reduce the heat. Now add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dal. Next add the garlic and onions and cook it for a few minutes. Add the diced potaotes, turmeric, salt and lime juice. Stir carefully. Cover and let it cook on low for 15 minutes or so.

Garnish with cilantro and serve as a side or with roti bread (available in Indian stores)

Baingan ka Bharta

This is a northern dish and very popular in India.

1 large eggplant roasted : I place it in a foil, drizzle it with some canola oil, hit with some salt and close the foil and place it in an oven pan and let it roast until it's soft

Once the eggplant is cooked. Let it cool and then peel the charred skin and discard the seeds. Rough chop the eggplant (it will be mushy) and put it in a bowl and reserve.

Now you need the following:

1 small onion finely diced
2 medium tomatoes finely diced
3 cloves of garlic finely diced
2 tsp of cumin seeds
2 tsp of cumin and corrainder powder freshly ground (toast the seeds lightly and then powder it in a spice grinder)
salt to taste
1 tsp of paprika
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1/2 cup of yogurt
1 green chili
cilantro for garnish
1 tbsp of oil
1/2 cup of water

In a pan add oil and temper it with cumin seeds. Next add the onions and cook them until they are golden brown. Next add the garlic, chili and all the ground spices and tomatoes. Cook this until the tomatoes release their water and turn into a pulp. Next add the water (1/2 cup tap water) and reduce the temperature. Add the yogurt and stir it with the water to ensure it's not lumpy. The reason to add the water first is so that the yogurt does not curdle. If you add the cold yogurt directly to the spices it will curdle.

Now add the eggplan and cover and cook on low for 15 minutes or so. Garnish with cilantro and serve with roti

I will share a few recipes later for Chicken and a ground lamb/beef kabab preparation that is delicious. You can send me a PM if you are looking for specific recipes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom