"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-08-2007, 01:10 AM   #41
Cook

Being an indian i love the Indian food the most. I boast about it :-)
Well, you can try Tandoori murgh, Chicken Biryani, (almost all chicken dishes are awesome !! believe me! ) Pasinde(its a meat curry), Naan, Chicken Khorma, Chicken Tikka, Murgh kababs, ... Ah the list is endless !!
You can check out Indian recipe at my blog Zaiqa..
See ya.

maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #42
Master Chef

I said influenced, not the "same as". I've become very lazy when it comes to Indian cuisine. I used to try to do it all myself. But it became ridiculous. I still do it on occaision, but my Indian friend brings me prepard dishes that are wonderful. I believe it is "Kitchens of India", and also anything by Pataks. I do love to do Thai curries in the summer because I have a wonderful herb garden, and all of the Thai women I know use a lot of the herbs. Yes, it is a totally different flavor, but there is (to me) an influence. By the way, does anyone out there have a source for a kaffir lime, or lemongrass plants? I used to grow them in Florida and Hawaii. Here it would have to be a house plant, but I'd still like to try it. I substitute lemon and lime juice and rind, which comes close, but I'd like the trees/grass in a pot. Even if it fails, it might be fun to try.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #43
Cook

Love Indian food and have been cooking it since I was 18. I hve been to India 30+ times in the last 20 years. Love all the cuisines of India-love hot and spicy.

Shanti, VP Community
ifood.tv | Food Video Recipe Community
one of the best Indian recipe sites-free
Old 09-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #44
Head Chef

Maria promised tandoori chicken recipe today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria View Post
Being an indian i love the Indian food the most. I boast about it :-)
Well, you can try Tandoori murgh, Chicken Biryani, (almost all chicken dishes are awesome !! believe me! ) Pasinde(its a meat curry), Naan, Chicken Khorma, Chicken Tikka, Murgh kababs, ... Ah the list is endless !!
You can check out Indian recipe at my blog Zaiqa..
See ya.
Maria had a Tandoori recipe on her site today just as promised - beautiful job. Thank you Maria, and thank you for the kind words. I will give you a full report one of these days. Thanks also for the link - how did you do that? Your camera - I need to take some food pictures for Books by Volunteers who serve Ukraine Orphans and don't even have a camera - what do you use? Would a small K Mart special work? D
Old 09-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #45
Head Chef

Try the samosas Indian dumplings filled with curried potatoes and english peas.. that is only one version of thousands of samosa's. I had these in Orange county some years ago and they are delish..
Old 09-11-2007, 12:56 AM   #46
Cook

Ate at a new and terrific Indian restaurant today in Pleasant Hill, CA. I had a Tifin lunch and it was yummy. I am so excited as they also do Pomfret Tandoor (whole) and paj Bahji!

We'll be going for dinner soon for sure.

There used to be a place in NYC that did Tandoor Pomfret, but I do not know of any place in CA that does it. Now in Dlhi, I love the Tandoor Pomfret at the restaurant downstairs at the Oberoi.

Can't wait to try it at this place Masala Monsoon.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #47
Master Chef

The first time I ate Indian food was in Hong Kong. My husband and I were wandering down the alleys and byways, and found this little restaurant in the basement of one of the buildings. Since we had no experience, we simply told the waiter to feed us whatever he thought best. I distinctly remember samosas, black pepper pappadams, another flat bread, and numerous curries. We loved it so much that when we found a police cordon around the restaurant we'd planned for the next night, we went back for more Indian instead (and this time we knew what to order). When we got back home (then Hawaii), a freind of ours had a new (Indian) sister-in-law, and was learning to cook from her. Since then we've often cooked it, although, as I said, we mostly eat prepared since there are only two of us, and only so much room in the spice cabinets (yes, plural. I have so many spices it is ridiculous).

I cannot recommend more highly going to an Indian buffet. There is very little food I like on a buffet line, but this allows you to try a number of dishes without commiting to one. Some I've been to actually have a vegetarian line and a meat-eaters line, always all-you-can-eat. It makes it so that you can have a dab of this and that. One in Victorville, California was especially great because we'd sit down and Mr. Singh (yes, I do know that was his name and what it symbolizes) would bring out a plate of tandoori chicken, fresh off the grill to your table. The curries, breads, salads etc were on the buffet line. I've been to similar places in Charleston, Alexandria, Madison, etc. We don't have an Indian restaurant near us, so we count on my own abilities, Kitchens of India, Patak's, our Pakistani friend's friends. I think another good Indian moment was when we were sitting at his pied a terre apartment to meet a friend of his. The man said he wanted to cook for us, but where could he get spices. I laughingly told him that I'd take him. There is a bulk spice merchant right across the street. He and I had a blast shopping for the spices, and the next day he cooked for us. Beats anything I could do.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Indian dessert. I love their mango shakes. I totally recommend their mango lassi if you get the chance. Also look for their rice pudding with a hint of pistachio and almonds. Lovely stuff. Yummy!!

If you ever get the chance to come to Vancouver, head down to Samosa Garden on Kingsway for a chance to try all-you-can-eat-Indian buffet. You'll get a chance to try everything there. Samosa Garden Restauerant
Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #49
Head Chef

Hi Shanti - It's paav Bhaaji and I agree it's good.

BTW: Making a tandoori pomfret is very easy. I use tilapia because I can find it fresh and it comes out just as good as the pomfret. If you would like to try at home let me know and I will give you the recipe.

It is a basic tandoori marinade.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:00 AM   #50
Cook

I don't like talapia as it is very bland compared to Indian Pomfret. Wow you have a Tandoor? You are very lucky. The only place I know that does tandoor pomfret is Monsoon masala in Pleasant Hill, CA. Of course in Delhi it is easy to find.

I am amazed you have a Tandoor, what size is it? Only restaurants here have them even my many Indian friends don't have them.

Pav Bhaji is how it is spelled in India. Here is a wonderful video of the best Pav Bhaji in the world right in Mumbai.

"Pav Bhaji" at Juhu Beach video | ifood.tv

Tags
None