"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #11
Cook

Wow, i just had memories from my childhood, making our own maple syrup. We had the little things we put in the trees and everything. Man. Those were the good ol' days!

Old 05-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I really don't have a choice where I live...we generally go with Aunt Jemima's.
If you haven't done so,you really must try the real stuff... I was quite disappointed with aunt jemimas when I tried it. (Not that it's worse, just 'different' and not what I was expecting).

Old 05-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yes, Connie, Aunt Jemima, as well as Log Cabin, Mrs. Butterworth etc. they are not the REAL maple syrup. They are mostly artificially flavoured. (some of them might proudly claim "made with real maple syrup"!!, and when you check the ingredients, it would only contain like 2% of the real syrup... )
I am a bit ashamed to admit I never thought I particularly cared for the maple syrup for a long time, but it was only because I had never tasted the pure real maple syrup. It may cost a lot more but it will be worth it... tasting is believing, they are so much better, totally a different story!!
Old 05-14-2006, 12:18 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I've never paid attention to the grade... I'm yet to taste a maple syrup that wasn't delicious!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I'll take it all, love it all, go to maple syrup camp near here a couple times a year. I just don't buy it because it would completely destroy my diet. lol
Old 05-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Oh god. I have a brick of maple sugar in my fridge and I've just been munching on it... one bite is enough to make my head spin... but I can't help it, it's there, you know? Diabetes will be knocking at my door soon if I don't get rid of the thing...
Old 05-22-2006, 08:31 PM   #17
Master Chef

I love the flavor of the real thing ... less sweet, more taste. I'm not a sweets fanatic, so real maple tastes better to me than "syrup with maple flavor". I also prefer dark chocolate to milk. I'm just not a sugar junkie, I guess (believe me, I have my own set of vices, this isn't critism). I don't know much about the grades, even though it is made only a few miles north of us. Since there are only two of us in the household, we only have the real thing on hand. One of those things where we don't use it often, but do the best when we do it.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #18
Senior Cook

lol, I just noticed maple syrup was considered "ethnic" food

Tags
None