Cooking with Sesame Oil Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
When using Sesame Oil, do you use it more as a ' flavor' by adding it at the end of the recipe, or do you actually use it to fry up your ingredients ? or both ?

I've always been under the impression that it was more of something you had for its flavor and not an oil yo would use to sauté but i recently came across a recipe that says otherwise.

Just curious,

Larry

Occasionally we'll come across it as an oil to fry in, but nearly always in combo with another oil, not just by itself. We mostly add it toward end of cooking or drizzle on before serving. Apparently though it can be used by itself for sauteeing.

Sesame oil has such a strong flavor, I don't use it for sautéing or stir-frying. I use a little in marinades and as a finishing oil.

I found years ago that when I started using peanut oil for making Asian food, it tasted more authentic.

There are a lot of flawed recipes out there ;) Just because someone put up a blog doesn’t necessarily make them a good food writer.

Do any of you know a basic brand of sesame oil to use as a finishing oil.

I have been gawking at various types, toasted, unrefined, dark, chili infused, etc.. I get so confused I end up not buying any of them!

I just want it to make a fakeout-takeout, or would it be a takeout-fakeout, Chinese meal from time to time.

Thanks B

Last edited:
Toasted (dark) is used in stir fries, etc. to finish. Light is made from raw sesame seeds and works better for salad dressings, etc.

I always use toasted sesame oil because it has a richer flavor. If I want heat, I add that separately. I also keep it in the fridge to prevent it from going rancid. It will become thicker in the fridge, but it loosens up in a few minutes as it warms.

I use toasted sesame oil, but only as flavoring, not to fry stuff. I keep it in the fridge too.

IMO it's flavor is very intense, so a little bit goes a long way. Add a little, taste, then add more if necessary.

I also use it is a finishing oil, specifically to add flavor.

I have been gawking at various types, toasted, unrefined, dark, chili infused, etc.. I get so confused I end up not buying any of them!

I just want it to make a fakeout-takeout, or would it be a takeout-fakeout, Chinese meal from time to time.

Thanks B

Kadoya is easy to find and quite good. You'll find that it's about half the price of the grocery store at an Asian market.

sesame oil_1.jpg

My favorite is La Tourangelle (comes in a can). Look for 100 percent, toasted sesame oil and add it after cooking is complete or drizzle a few drops over take out. Most take out places in my area forego sesame oil for two reasons - it's an expensive ingredient and many folks just don;t like the flavor but imo it's an essential ingredient for good asian cuisine and vastly improves local take out :)

sesame oil_2.jpg

Thanks B

I get whatever brand is available at the grocery store. Just looked in the fridge, the one I have now is Trader Joe's toasted. Hmm. I'm almost out.

Janet's tip for doctoring up takeout is a good one. I'll have to look for those brands.

Last edited:
Mmmm....I do love toasted sesame oil. I use it in stir fry dishes and as a finishing oil and has been mentioned, a little goes a long way.

I like to steam edamame, then quickly sauté them in a little garlic and a tiny bit of sesame oil. Delicious.

Kadoya is easy to find and quite good. You'll find that it's about half the price of the grocery store at an Asian market.

My favorite is La Tourangelle (comes in a can). Look for 100 percent, toasted sesame oil and add it after cooking is complete or drizzle a few drops over take out. Most take out places in my area forego sesame oil for two reasons - it's an expensive ingredient and many folks just don;t like the flavor but imo it's an essential ingredient for good asian cuisine and vastly improves local take out :)

I've used both and like them both. I found La Tourangelle at TJ Maxx for about $8!

The recipe I use for the pork meatballs that go in the Bahn Mi sandwiches/lettuce wraps we make, actually calls for frying the meatballs in sesame oil. The meatballs pick up the flavor from the oil.

Since my taste buds find it to be too strongly flavored for finishing, I do add some to the oil I use when stir-frying, though. Maybe a 1/5 ratio? I just eyeball it I keep only the toasted kind in the house (TJs, right now) as I also find the untoasted tastes too "raw".

Back
Top Bottom