"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-10-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Experienced Cook Needs Sushi Help

Ok guys, Im an experienced cook, but Sushi I have no experience making.

I understand the principle, you need to make sushi rice, (seems like the most important component) then the seaweed and fillings.

Heres my question. For the Sushi rice, all I have in my apt. are pots and pans, I dont have a steemer, will i get by? How should I make the Sushi rice?
I plan to just use white rice, cook once til fluffy, refridgerate once doused with sugar and rice vinegar, then use the next day. Hows that sound?

The seaweed I plan to wet slightly before use, and then I will have to hand roll it since i have no bamboo sheet or whatever.

Any advice is much appreciated, Ill be using Imitation crab and Smoked Salmon for starters.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC, BBQ Mikey.

Sushi rice is a pecific type of rice. You need a medium grain rice. Regular long grain white rice will not work.

You can cook rice without a steamer, I do it all the time. Here's how I do it:

3⅓ C Sushi Rice
4 C Water
C Water

6 Tb Rice Vinegar
5 Tb Sugar
1 Tb Salt

Rinse rice under running water until the water runs clear then drain in a colander for 1 hour.

Place the drained rice in a pot with a tight-fitting lid and add 4 cups water.

Over medium heat, cover and bring the water to a boil. Boil for about 2 minutes, reduce heat and allow it to simmer for another 5 minutes.

Reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes, or until water has been absorbed.

Remove from the heat, remove lid, and place a towel over pot. Replace lid and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.

While the rice cooks, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and cup water in a saucepan. Heat over low temperature, stirring, until sugar and salt dissolve. Set aside to cool.

Empty rice into a non-metallic tub and spread it evenly over the bottom with a large wooden spoon.

Run the spoon through the rice in slicing motions to separate the grains. While doing this, slowly add vinegar mixture. Add only as much as is necessary; the rice should not be mushy.

If you have help, fan the rice with a fan during the cooling and mixing procedures.

Do not refrigerate the rice. Keep it in the tub covered with a clean cloth until ready to use. The rice will last one day.

Also, do not wet the seaweed. Use it dry. If you bought some that is pre-roasted, you're good to go.

If you don't have a bamboo mat, try rolling the sushi on a thin towel covered with plastic wrap.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Everything Andy said is valid.

Don't try to use regular long grain rice. It just will not work. You need more starch than long grain will give you. Medium grain is what you want.

Keep your hands wet when working with the rise. It will keep it from sticking to you.

The only thing I would add to what Andy said is when you have your rice covered with a clean cloth, I would recommend the cloth be damp. It is not necessary, but you might find it a little easier that way.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Well, I tried for the first time and I am

It wasnt the most beautiful thing ever, i messed a few up, but it sure was fun and alot came out great!

I used imitation crab meat and baby cucumbers. It was delish.

I also made my own wasabi.

I rolled it by hand, using no tools. Rolling wasnt easy, but cutting was even harder!!! Help me out with this!

The sushi rice came out a bit sticky and slightly gooey but I liked it very much that way!
Old 05-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

The rice should be sticky but not gooey. Cooking times and temperatures could be the cause.

The trick to cutting the rolls is to use a very sharp knife with a wet blade. Dip the blade in water between slices and keep wiping the blade.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
Sous Chef

you couldnt be more right about that cutting technique,

Thanks a bunch buddy!!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
Head Chef

wow, good job, and what a bold move!

I can cook great sushi rice.

here's some i made, gaijin style...with soy sauce and chiltepin flakes

Ive never made sushi rolls!

Perhaps it's time i travel down this path.

How difficult is the act of actually rolling it up?
Old 05-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
Head Chef

Those bamboo mats are very inexpensive, and you can buy them in most big supermarkets--any place you can buy nori will probably have mats, too.

Not difficult at all to roll them up. The first one will look awful (but taste fine) and you will get better and better with each one you make.

Sushi is a great thing to do with kids. Even fussy kids can find something they like to roll up in rice and seaweed--lunch meat, carrot slivers, shrimp.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
wow, good job, and what a bold move!

I can cook great sushi rice.

here's some i made, gaijin style...with soy sauce and chiltepin flakes

Ive never made sushi rolls!

Perhaps it's time i travel down this path.

How difficult is the act of actually rolling it up?
That rice looks great. Its not hard to roll.

Anyone have any advice on a spicy crab filling? Im currently mashing up imitation crab with tabasco, franks hot sauce, and chili flakes....
Old 05-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #10
Master Chef

I never make the rice in a steamer, just cook it. The recipe given is just what I do. I'm a purist, no hot peppers or other seasonings in it (although it looks delicious). You don't want the rice to be "fluffy", you want it a little starchy and clingy so that it holds together when rolled. I use Cal-Rose brand rice, it is what almost everyone used in Hawaii when I lived there, and most importantly, I can actually find it here in small-town midwest. I just threw a luau-themed brunch, and I have a neighbor loves to make sushi. Because of our location and knowing our friends, he made mostly vegetable rolls and some krab rolls, and they were such a hit that I hid away a plate of it for us to eat today! Am I selfish or what?

Tags
None