"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Ethnic Foods

Old 12-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Master Chef

GG,
I think any mustard will work, it's just for the spicy flavour - but if you have german mustard that would be the icing on the cake - btw. what makes a mustard german?
Dill pickles will also be okay - I'm not so much for Dill, so I won't use it..

Craig,
there is not so much hummer around here, so I do not have a recipe for that, that wouldn't be american somehow ;o)

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ma, recipe

German Rinder Rouladen there is already a recipe for Rouladen here, but as I make them a bit different... 4 thin slices beef (top round) The beef has to be long and thin so that you can roll it and make it into a parcel. ([URL="http://www.rezeptewiki.org/images/thumb/5/5d/Rouladen1_1.jpg/800px-Rouladen1_1.jpg"]see here what they should look like)[/URL] 4 gherkins 8 slices of bacon mustard salt and pepper clarified butter sting or cotton (twist works well) for tying the rouladen up with (beef) broth redwine onions garlic carrots celery 1 can tomatoes in pieces Cut the vegetables in cubes Clean the meat, pat dry, and put flat out next to each other. Make sure that the long side is from top to bottom! Spread a thin layer of mustard over one side of each piece of meat. Salt and pepper Place 2 slices of bacon on each slice over the mustard Place a gherkin on every slice. If they are rather thick you can cut them in half or in quarter To roll the Roulade first fold the edges inward so the filling won't fall out. Now start rolling at the bottom and make a small rolled parcel ;o) Fix with stings (in G there are [URL="http://www.google.de/imgres?q=rouladennadeln%23&biw=1280&bih=621&tbm=isch&tbnid=ZnINkiNvZPAtfM:&imgrefurl=http://kalthoff-frieling.de/klammern-spiesse-ringe/437700-rouladennadeln-10-stueck-edelstahl-rostfrei-4001275073313.html&docid=zPQABwDmx9QKwM&imgurl=http://kalthoff-frieling.de/437700-437700-large/rouladennadeln-10-stueck-edelstahl-rostfrei.jpg&w=300&h=300&ei=KE-vUpe0BcKNtAbHl4GABA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=558&vpy=179&dur=1287&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=88&ty=127&page=1&tbnh=143&tbnw=146&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0,i:93"]Rouladen-Nadeln)[/URL] or tie with the twist. Heat the clarified butter in a roasting pan. Fry the Roulades from all sides until fine browned. Remove the Roulades from the pan (careful!) and add the onions. Fry until light brown, add the rest of the veggies and roast a bit. Deglaze with a glass of Red. Add the canned tomatoes (alternatively you can add just tomato puree), stir well and place the beef back in the pan. Add some brooth or more wine, as you like, so that they are about half covered. Place in oven for at least 2h at 180C/350F. In between make sure there is still enough fluid When ready make a sauce from the fluids. Served best with red cabbage and potato dumplings ;o) 3 stars 1 reviews