"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 02-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #31
Head Chef
We have 2 jars of ghost pepper salt that I am gradually using when I need both salt and heat in a dish. I can't imagine eating a ghost pepper straight.

RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #32
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Really? I'd like to see that. Not saying it isn't possible, but I have a buddy who used to claim there was no hot chile he couldn't eat. He always had a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce sitting on his desk at work and put it on everything imaginable. I have also personally seen him eat habaneros like candy.

But the Ghost Pepper Wing Challenge at a local bar brought him to tears a little more than halfway through it. He finally had to admit he had met his match and couldn't finish. I had a bite of one wing. Now I love fiery foods, but it was more than I could handle. It wasn't anything that was remotely enjoyable.

From what I understand, in India they make a spray from Bhut Jolokia that they put on fences to keep elephants away.
The hottest pepper wing challenge I've heard of involved the Naga Viper. It's hotter than the ghost pepper.

The reason your friend probably failed probably is not that he couldn't handle a single pepper, but the cumulative effect of eating multiple wings, with more and more capsacan loading up on his tongue. Eat one pepper and your good. Eat four or five and the heat just keeps building. Some folks who stated my hot chile wasn't very hot, at a local chile contest, came back after 3 or 4 more bites, sweating and looking like they'd just eaten something a bit hotter than they were prepared for. The wanted something to cool the burn in the worst way.

Yep, there is instant heat in peppers. But there is more when you eat them, or products made with them over a short time.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #33
Wine Guy
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
The hottest pepper wing challenge I've heard of involved the Naga Viper. It's hotter than the ghost pepper.
The Naga Viper is old news. It's since been replaced by the "Carolina Reaper" as the world's hottest chile. But does it really matter once you get past a certain point?

Back on the subject of ghost peppers, I have a new salsa recipe I've been making a lot of lately. It has a base of tomatillos and garlic, but gets most of its flavor from a number of dried chiles, including arbol, guajillo, and ancho. I also recently started adding dried ghost peppers to it (just a pinch). I've found the dried product doesn't have nearly as much heat as the fresh, but still has a lot of the same fruity notes.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote