"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-19-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Master Chef

Goat Curry

After years of always wanting to try it, I finally did. At a recent visit to the organic/free-range meat farm around the corner from us, I bought a couple of goat "chops". I've always liked lamb, & have always read that young goat tastes much the same. That advice is completely wrong - goat is BETTER!!! (Lord, that sounds odd somehow. . . .).

Anyway, I cut the chops into bite-size pieces & browned them in some extra-virgin olive oil along with one red-bulb scallion & 2 large cloves of chopped garlic. At the same time, I boiled up a bunch of tiny fingerling potatoes. Once the goat pieces were browned, I added a cup of water, 1/2 a tablespoon of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons of Penzey's Hot Curry Powder, & the sliced cooked potatoes. Let everything simmer for a bit & then poured it into a bowl to enjoy.

It was not only hot as **** - which I love - but absolutely delicious. While the texture of the goat meat was definitely akin to lamb, it didn't taste like lamb at all. More like veal.

Anyway, for you carnivores out there - if you come across well-raised goat/kid, don't hesitate.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:18 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Sounds good, BC.

I see goat meat in the supermarket in Aruba every year when we go there for vacation. It's an inexpensive staple there. I'll have to plan on making a stew when we go in January.

Thanks for the review.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Goat is wonderful Andy!! Do try it.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
Master Chef

I will say that the farmer owner did impress upon me that the goat meat they sell is extremely young - that older goat is much more "muttony". He also said that while they only sell direct from the farm & at various local farmers markets, the goat meat sells out every time, as apparently they are one of the very few, if not only, organic/free-range goat meat suppliers around. After what I dined on tonight, I'm not at all surprised. My wallet certainly won't be happy though, as this quality & conscientious raising/production doesn't come cheap. Here's their website:

http://www.cibolafarms.com/index.htm
Old 10-19-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

If you drive around the back side of Aruba, which is desert,you see herds of goats and donkeys roaming around. I suspect these goats are the source of the supermarket's supply.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I love a good goat dish! I eat souse(sow-se) evertime I am in the islands, along with curry.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:53 PM   #7
Master Chef

The farm where I purchased my chops maintains, what I believe, is now a cross-bred herd. We've been following their progress from when they first began, & they started with a herd of Tennessee Fainting Goats to assist the heritage breed Tamworth pigs in brush removal to create more pasture for the bison & free-range poultry. However, I think the free-range goat herd they have now is a cross between Tennessee Fainting & Boer, but I'm not sure.

Regardless, it was positively delicious & much nicer than lamb (& I'm a lamb lover). I only wish it wasn't so expensive, but then again, all organic/free-range produce is pricey stuff & will remain so unless/untill it becomes mainstream.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:42 PM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! FAINTING GOATS! Sorry, this vid just cracks me up!

I guess they would be easy to catch!?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:51 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! FAINTING GOATS! Sorry, this vid just cracks me up!

I guess they would be easy to catch!?

I guess they don't do very well in the wild.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:53 PM   #10
The Dude Abides

I think that sometimes, even mother nature needed a laugh!

Tags
None