Koosa (Stuffed Squash)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
My Lebanese friends' mother used to make a dish very similar to this one. I found this recipe in a cookbook titled Arabian Cuisine by Anne marie Weiss-Armush an American who married a man from Damascus. Anyway, here it is

16 small or 12 medium zucchini and/ or yellow squash.

Stuffing:

1 cup short grain rice
3/4 lb. ground lamb or beef ( I prefer lamb)
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. mint
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 large ripe tomatoes peeled and chopped (OPT)
2 tbsp. minced parsley (OPT)

Sauce

1 large can tomatoes (crushed)
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1 lemon juiced/1 tsp. tamarind paste
1 rounded tsp. tomato paste

1. Cut off stalk ends of squash
If you can, take a narrow knife and hollow out the squash so that yo have a tube . I have a tool for this. Alternatively, cut squash in
half lengthwise and scoop out pulp.

2. Mix all stuffing ingred. together and knead together . Fill squash but allow for expansion of the rice.

3. Place the koosa in a baking dish, side by side and pour over the sauce. Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 mins or until done.

4. Remove squash from casserole dish and taste the sauce for seasoning. Adjust if necessary.

Just thinking... if no tamarind paste available, I might add some cinnamon and allspice to the sauce.

Hope Margi sees this as she asked for it.

Last edited:
Still looking for tamarind paste. So far, no luck. I have found tamarind nectar and wonder if I could use a little of that in my sauce. any suggestions?

Lynda: Yes, Tamarind Pulp or Juice

:yum: Good Morning Lynda,

Firstly, I am by no means an expert, however, I would definitely reduce the amount of water in the recipe to 1/4 cup and employ 1/2 the Tamarind Juice or Pulp from Goya or other brand, to obtain a gorgeous thicker sauce ... One can always add water, to thin a sauce if needed.

My viewpoint ... Buy 2 jars or cans of the Juice and experiment with making the SALSA for the recipe, apart ... when you have obtained the sauce you prefer, then document it ...

TAMARIND PASTE: try calling a couple of your local Health Food Establishments or a Macy´s Cellar ...

Have nice wkend,
Margi. ( Saturday 13.00 hours. Madrid time. )

Thanks, Margi. I was thinking the same thing about the water. Seems like a lot. You're right about experimenting. I'll just keep tasting until it seems right and is the right consistency.

19.00 Hours - Madrid Capital Time

Lynda,

This has just come to mind, while I was copying down your ingredients. I would use 28 ounces of Fresh Ripe Red Juicy Tomatoes and make a coarse Coulis Salsa Texture, verses a canned product from Italia ...

I am going to purchase some gorgeous Green Corgettes = Zucchini ... and try this out, for the 15th, when we have a National Holiday here and we are off.

I would try the fresh tomato route out ... It shall make the sauce thicker, as you do not have all that " canned liquid " ...

Have a great wkend.

Margi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom