"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-16-2003, 12:54 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Lasagna - Italian or British?

Had to laugh when the TV news mentioned today that Italy and Britain are fighting over a reported 13th century English recipe for a dish quite similar to lasagna.

I vote for the Brits: they never seemed to cook much of anything worth eating, and, in my opinion, that mess of paste - pasta - and tomatoes tastes like something they'd come up with!

Probllem is, even the Brits didn't have tomatoes back then!

Old 07-17-2003, 02:37 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Lousy Brit cooking is definitely a thing of the past since Jamie Oliver hit the scene. His show tonight was on Italian cooking, which he learned from an Italian chef who appears on the show. No lasagna, but three other dishes to die for.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:18 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
British or Italian - I'll take it either way. I love lasagna and it's not paste!!!!! (now that I stood up for what I like I'm running like he!! so oldcoot can't beat me into submission) :P

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:51 PM   #4
Senior Cook

i doubt the original recipe had any tomato in it--i don't think tomatoes were discovered until the 1500's, and they were considered poisonous until late 1800's (i think).

Wine in a box is better than no wine at all.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:46 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Carnivore is correct....tomatoes were considered poisionous just a couple of hundred years ago....I however happen to like Brit cooking.....and there is nothing better than a well cooked lasagna...LIKE MINE!
No, I can't share the recipe, because I don't HAVE one...I make it by the 5 senses....not too mushy, not to firm...rich , creamy, cheesy, spicey...just a small square is filling.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:13 PM   #6
Senior Cook

ok Norma, you tease--don't hold out on us--write down the recipe!!
normally when someone asks me if i like lasagna, i kind of shrug my shoulders, because i don't dislike it, but i don't have the "good" variety very often...as a matter of fact, i think i've only had one lasagna that i really wanted to have again.

Wine in a box is better than no wine at all.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:19 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Ok....I owe two recipes but it's gonna be after I move, AND get a day off from my two jobs....!
Old 03-12-2004, 03:14 PM   #8
Senior Cook

British lasagne is very different to American lasagne - The Brits use a highly flavoured 'bolognaise' type of ragu, and use sharp cheddar cheese to make a flavoursome cheese sauce, which is layered with the ragu between the lasagne. More cheese sauce is poured on top of the dish, and then it is sprinkled with grated cheese before baking. The flavour of the British version, compared to the American version, is awesome :)

For my bolognaise sauce, I use:
Lean ground beef,
Celery,
Onions,
Bell Peppers,
Mushrooms,
Tinned tomatoes,
Tomato paste,
a squirt of Worcestershire sauce,
a squirt of tomato ketchup,
a squirt of "Geo. Watkins Mushroom Ketchup" (order off the internet)
a squirt of HP steak sauce,
Oregano,
Basil,
Marjoram,
pinch of nutmeg,
Garlic,
Salt & Black Pepper.

Can't give quantities - I'm a 'smigeon & handful' sort of girl LOL!

Don't forget to make that tasty sharp-cheddar sauce!

Paint.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:44 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Lasagna was originally a Greek dish that used a sauce similar to a bechamel sauce. As proud as I am of my Italian heritage, it is important not to forget that the Greeks taught Italians how to cook and that Italians taught the French.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:03 AM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
British Lasagne can be awesome, mine is similar to Paint's and I also make a very cool vegetarian one, that my mum taught me to make. She always used to make it at Christmas for my sister who was veggie for many years. Then my sister started eating meat again, but we all still insist on the vegetarian lasagne! It just wouldn't be Christmas without it.

Old Coot, them's fighting words, English cooking can be fantastic!!! And Jamie Oliver is not the only fantastic British cook around.

Tags
None